Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy

New Guy

Hi
    I'm an older guy just starting to get into hunting. I really want to get into waterfowl hunting if there's anybody out there looking to teach an old guy new tricks that would be great. Big fan of whiskey and beer.

Thanks from your future hunting partner
    Scott

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Guy

You should state what region you're in.

Also do you have all your permits, licenses, shotgun, waders, boat, dog etc?

I suppose that is a good idea. I'm in lower mainland. I have all permits, insurance, gun, waders, laydown blind, and a dozen mallard decoys. Can travel for the right hunt.

There are still productive public areas available. I shoot mostly in Ladner myself. Both Boundary Bay and Brunswick Pt. are accessible public areas. Boundary Bay is easy to walk out to - pretty flat and wide open. You can find a place away from other hunters with some observation. No real need for waders.

Brunswick Pt. is hairier. A smaller area and also with actual swamp, holes that can swallow you up if you misstep and big tide effects. Because it's smaller the competition can get pretty concentrated to put it mildly. Depending on your fitness level that might be a place to work your way up to. Lots of people here can answer your questions on either of those areas or for Pitt Marsh if that is closer to you.

[QUOTE=silveragent;2277996]You should state what region you're in.

Also do you have all your permits, licenses, shotgun, waders, boat, dog,how hot is your daughter and is she coming?what kind of beer and whiskey?do you always bring lunch?

New waterfowl hunter here as well. Been primarily after big game the last couple years, but I want an excuse to hunt every weekend, so waterfowl is the answer haha.

Anyone have a highlighted map of where exactly in Boundary Bay you can walk out and hunt? Same with Pitt Marsh. I've been staring at the map and surfing the forum, but can't seem to find any straightforward answers. I obviously don't expect anyone to give away their spots, but just a general outline of where it is ok to hunt in both these spots would be fantastic.

See ya out there, Scott.

Mikey

I haven't waterfowled in a couple years but the advice that SilverAgent gives is sound. I have a 14' jonboat so had access to a fair bit of ground but found Ladner was the best place to go where I could get away from other hunters but still get into lots of birds. Always mid-week though, so that might change on a weekend.

Coffee with baileys, watching the sun come up and listening to the ducks starting to move-- some of my best hunting memories.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

mikeymac, for Boundary generally people walk in from the bottom of 65th St or 72n St. From then on you fan out and keep your distance from the other hunters. There is space enough for 100y between you and your competitors if you pay attention to the lights from the other hunters.

Ducks fly in all directions but in general they are trying to get to the wide open beach and back. Your main challenge is to stay hidden and still waiting for them. It is very flat and all the vegetation is sparse now. There aren't a lot of ponds for decoys to float in so floaters won't be good there. You will see ducks in droves out into the bay and you will be tempted to just walk out there. Of course they will see you coming from a mile away so all you will be doing is moving them. So just find a nice depression somewhere, set up your seat and have a nice day waiting and watching.

During Canada Goose season make sure you take BB or #2 with you as they will randomly come in.

For absolute boundaries consult the Fraser Valley Special Area map, especially when you are closer to the west edge of shootable area at 64th St. Make sure you have all your permits and insurance!

Allbravo2, midweeks are so nice. Barely anyone out and the birds are a bit more relaxed!

Thanks for taking the time to respond with some info. It is very much appreciated, silveragent! I'm looking forward to getting out there.

Firstly,you need to get a permit !