Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attaching a gambrel to Garage ceiling?

Re: Attaching a gambrel to Garage ceiling?

Sliding barn door hardware work great to make a rolling ceiling hoist.
    Last edited by MRP; 08-31-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I ran a coarse thread eye bolt into the joist and lift my ATV with the winch up to get under, can lift the front up a good four feet with no problems.

I would leg into 3-4 joists with two legs a joist then mount to that..

My houses have always had the attic option and to reinforce and on new shop builds we reinforced to allow for it from day 1.
    Early season if more than half hour from home i skin them where they drop by putting a chain between two trees..this will reduce weight and pulling on your joist and hardware as its done dead weight hanging is minor pulling a cold hide off can be a lot of force.

80 year old Sicilian whose garage I cleaned up two blacktail in last year threw a piece of 3/8” yellow poly rope over a manky 2x4 on flat laid across his open attic hatch and tied hind leg tendons. Dressed them out with a hatchet. Best tasting venison I’ve ever eaten. Don’t over think it!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

According to the 'net (and the American Wood Council) the pullout force for a 5/16" lag screw is around 200-300# depending on the type of wood. Also if you're hoisting something through a pulley the force on the bolt (or eye) is doubled. For example, if you're lifting 100# through a pulley using the winch on your ATV then the winch side is also pulling down with 100#. That's 200# on the bolt in the ceiling.

If it was me, I'd run a 2x6 across two joists with 2 bolts into each joist. On the 2x6 I'd use two solid eye-bolts with a fender washer and bolt on the back. I always drill screw holes to reduce splitting. Why 2 eyes? One for the pulley and one for the hook on the gambrel.

Quote Originally Posted by guywitha270 View Post
    Ok thanks for the advice. Maybe I’ll just lag a length of unistrut onto the joist.
    Is your house old enough to have solid wood joists or was it built with manufactured I joists? If solid wood 2x10's a 7/16-1/2" screw hook will work fine but if they are I joists just remember that you will be screwing into a finger jointed 2x3 or 2x4 that does not have a lot of holding power so I would then screw a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 across 4 or 5 joists with 3 or 4 #10 or #12 x 4" screws or 1/4"-3/8" lag bolts per joist to spread the load. I did QC for a joist company for a few years and those things rely on spreading the load to work properly. Also be sure to pre drill your fastener holes so the wood doesn't split.
    Last edited by elimsprint; 09-01-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    80 year old Sicilian whose garage I cleaned up two blacktail in last year threw a piece of 3/8” yellow poly rope over a manky 2x4 on flat laid across his open attic hatch and tied hind leg tendons. Dressed them out with a hatchet. Best tasting venison I’ve ever eaten. Don’t over think it!
    Aha! exactly lol,
    Plus haven't seen a WT deer (out of town) in years that would stress a 2x4.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Quote Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
    Is your house old enough to have solid wood joists or was it built with manufactured I joists? If solid wood 2x10's a 7/16-1/2" screw hook will work fine but if they are I joists just remember that you will be screwing into a finger jointed 2x3 or 2x4 that does not have a lot of holding power so I would then screw a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 across 4 or 5 joists with 3 or 4 #10 or #12 x 4" screws or 1/4"-3/8" lag bolts per joist to spread the load. I did QC for a joist company for a few years and those things rely on spreading the load to work properly. Also be sure to pre drill your fastener holes so the wood doesn't split.
    Good point. TJI joists (wooden I beams) are NOT engineered to hang ANYTHING from. They are designed for loads from above only. If you’re hanging theaverage gutted deer, you’ll likely be ok, but you would be better off doing a 4’ wide double 2x4 on edge with studs under each end and hang from that. Run a couple of long tech screws into the TJI to keep the “contraption” from falling over.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
    Yea, they are I joists. I will heed your advice and spread the load. Thanks!
    I like guns and I like boobs. But I do NOT like boobs with guns!

Personally wouldn’t use a #10-12 screw, I would drill a pilot hole and use 2.5” #8 screws. The bottom of an I beam isn’t very wide/thick and unless you drill straight up into the osb you could split the bottom part of the beam when using large diameter screws.