Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

Re: boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

Yes, canoes are that brilliant ! If you study boat design, you'll come to that same conclusion.

I have a Clipper Mac, and yes there is a learning curve to using a 4.5hp motor on one, chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleseven View Post
    Hi all,

Question regarding boats on a moose hunt. We have an early draw moose hunt. We have two options, my 11 ft inflatable with 15 hp prop outboard, or my partners high end canoe.

The area has a bunch of small/medium lakes, and small/medium streams. Both the boat/engine and canoe present different transport problems. I don't have a rack of any sort, and will be hauling my quad in my truck, towing a trailer. Fuel will be a 3 hour drive away, so that's going to bean issue regardless.

Which option would you bring?

Thanks!
    Buy a cheap rack from PA or even throw one together with some 2x4s, easy way to carry a canoe.

My vote is the canoe as long as you are hunting smaller lake shores... quiet rules.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Downwind what length and material is yours ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Yes, canoes are that brilliant ! If you study boat design, you'll come to that same conclusion.

I have a Clipper Mac, and yes there is a learning curve to using a 4.5hp motor on one, chuckle.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

It's the shorter of the the two models. I've forgotten the length, it's shorter than than my 17' prospector cedar strip. All they are, is the freighter models with the end cut off. I bought that line ,"How else can you feel 20 years younger" so mine is Kevlar. Both canoes weigh in at a little over 60# He recommended grey colour," When you look at water, it seems mostly grey ." grey with black trim. My cedar strip is yellow cedar and cherry. I replaced the wood motor pad so I could raise the motor up. Some thing he also recommended. We talked about hunting the same waters, even. He had hunted there, so he knew what I was looking for.

Road hunting out of a boat is not a give me. With the high traffic of all these jet boats, game is leery of waterways . Besides the river banks have high bush making it hard to see. So they are better at getting into places and hunting on foot, even a short distance. When hunting on lakes in a canoe, wind is your enemy, canoes don't do rough water well. There is a saying, so long as you shot the moose first, you can put it in a canoe, they pack.

We used high end ,tight life jackets and 4mil? chest waders with a belt at the top to keep out water. We stayed dry, more less, even with my clumsy handling of the motor.

^^^^^^ Thanks for the reply Downwind ! ^^^^^^
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I don't think you will regret bringing either of your boats especially if you wind up needing one. One thing I always bring on a hunt is a set of breathable chest waders and wading boots. They take up no room and if you drop a moose in the lake or creek you don't have to go in your skivvies to get a rope on it. Good luck.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

Zodiac. I am selling a brand new inflatable... good brand, tough and can handle 15 hp. Mercury Quicksilver sport 300. Too big for my sailboat. I hunted moose this way for years in Ontario... excellent to get in a bit of fishing while hunting as a bonus. Can handle a quartered moose. https://www.stevestonmarine.com/quic...aluminum-floor

...PS It rolls up, easy to pack in.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I have a Clipper Tripper but I’m thinking a square stern Mackenzie would be the cats ass !
    Is that the model that Marlin uses ? Wonder what length ?
    Arctic Lake
    There are brackets available to attach a small motor to a standard canoe, doesn't have to be a square stern. Back in my teen years northeastern Alberta I had a 17' Lund aluminum with 2 HP Johnson. It would clip along nicely. Need ballast in the front in either case or the bow is too far out of the water making an already unstable boat design even more sketchy .

Back then electric motor selection was limited to tiny trolling motors. Nowadays I'm sure there are much more powerful options. With an electric you still have the stealth advantage! The Lund is long gone but I still have the motor bracket. Seriously considering an electric motor for the current strip canoe for when I need to cover distance toute de suite! That rarely happens these days, me in a hurry haha.