Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

Re: boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

... brings back great memories... nice pics, made my day. I hunted for years in northern Ontario just like that. Love the north of Ontario... more water than land seen from the air. Spectacular walleye fishing to boot while hunting

For you guys in the know do freighter style canoes have a keel ? Would a keeled freighter be better on a lake . I know the Tripper Clipper we have does not have a keel .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

My frieghter doesn't , I wouldn't have bought it if it did. . A keel makes a canoe much harder to use in rivers.My long parted aluminum and Chestnut fiberglass had ones. lesson learned. With a motor on lakes, it runs pretty straight.

Inflatable for me. The 11.8ft fold-up boat I use has a 1400lb capacity rating and can handle a 15hp outboard. Damn near impossible to tip the thing.

I'm with Grant on the inflatable. For practicality and all around usage, not the inherent romance of a hunt out of a canoe.

This last year we bought 2 of the Kaboat style. A 16' and a 12'. BC hasn't really gotten these yet, but they are popular in Alaska, Scandinavia, and Russia for hunting river boats. These are different than normal inflatables in that they are narrower, and have a sharp prow. High-pressure inflation and stiff as a board once inflated. They are narrow enough you can paddle like a canoe, or use a double paddle like a kayak. Very shallow draft. Flat stern so you can mount a motor. Mine is also rated for up to 15HP, but flies with an 8 HP. Folds down into a Duffle bag. Carrying capacity is huge. We've had 5 adults and 2 kids in the 16' with no problems, so I'd definitely stuff an elk in there.

Be the perfect elk and moose float boat. Still going to do that yet. But we've done a lot with them, from lake fishing, family boating, running down the Chilliwack/Vedder River for whitewater fun, and gone 4K off the northwest coast of the island to fish halibut.

This guy from Sweden made a ton of videos with these and small jet outboards on skinny waters.

Saturn makes these (imports and brands probably) but they are always out of stock. I bought mine from Goethe direct off Aliexpress.
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...

redthorn , I like the looks of the gtk370 size
    do you buy at wholesale?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

You fellas check out this YouTube channel North61 . Tell me what you think in regards to his opinions on Freighter Canoes
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    redthorn , I like the looks of the gtk370 size
    do you buy at wholesale?
    I bought mine direct through Aliexpress. I'm sure you can email the store and buy direct for a bit cheaper, but you have secure payment and shipping guarantees and such through the Aliexpress site.

Why the 370 size instead of the 387? My 2 cents, the 387 has 5 air bladders (2 on each side wall and 1 in the floor) while the 370 is marginally smaller but only has 3 bladders (1 on each side and the air floor) For the abuse we put these through on the skinny waters, I'm happier with the knowledge that I can limp home on 4 even with one punctured. You can also take out the extra seats. We hardly ever use them, preferring to sit on the side tube while motoring or paddling, or lounging across them with your back on one side and feet hanging over on the other while fishing. It's like being in a recliner all day.
    Last edited by redthorn; 09-05-2021 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by redthorn View Post
    I bought mine direct through Aliexpress. I'm sure you can email the store and buy direct for a bit cheaper, but you have secure payment and shipping guarantees and such through the Aliexpress site.

Why the 370 size instead of the 387? My 2 cents, the 387 has 5 air bladders (2 on each side wall and 1 in the floor) while the 370 is marginally smaller but only has 3 bladders (1 on each side and the air floor) For the abuse we put these through on the skinny waters, I'm happier with the knowledge that I can limp home on 4 even with one punctured. You can also take out the extra seats. We hardly ever use them, preferring to sit on the side tube while motoring or paddling, or lounging across them with your back on one side and feet hanging over on the other while fishing. It's like being in a recliner all day.

For those interested I just bought a Merc Quicksilver Model 300 inflatable roll up for easy packing. It can handle a 15 hp is heavy duty and stable.It is too big for my sailboat so it is for sale. Paid all in taxes shipping etc about $1700.... one month old, used once. Will take $500 off.

Quote Originally Posted by redthorn View Post

I'll have to look again, saw the GTK and newer GHK370 were both 4+1. Slightly shorter/narrower and slightly lighter, with out giving up much payload were my ideas
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole