Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

Re: boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

Buy a couple pool noodles and split them lengthwise so it will open up and clamp onto your gunnels. Buy the ones with a hole in the center and only split part way through so the end that looks like a O now looks like a C.
    MM

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Moose hunting and High end Canoes, I hope its not a problem if it gets scratched.

If I had to make a choice between Canoe and Inflatible I allwais would pick the Canoe simply because one does not have to worry a Bear bites trough the walls and you can easily hide it in the Bush.

Good Luck

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Canoe gets my vote. We have taken a tinny and canoe on moose hunts. Canoe can go pretty much anywhere. We spent too much time fishing from the tinny we forgot to hunt moose. Canoe 2 - Tinny 0

Hmmm, I like this thread and your canoe is way to beautiful to pull over beaver dams. I have to go with the canoe over the boat. They are such simple and diverse tools. Harvesting a moose using a canoe is such a quintessential North American image. Read Adam Shoalt’s books on traversing unknown rivers and the Canadian north by canoe to get an idea of what a man can do with a canoe. Or Michale Planke and the Revenant. Don’t judge a book by its movie. While your at it, read Ridgeline when you are sitting for an afternoon siesta in the Canoe. I am so looking forward to getting out hunting this year and now you have me thinking of a canoe vs boot leather trip. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleseven View Post
    is it ok to strap a canoe on an angle over my truck roof...(about 14 hours or highway driving each way)? it seems like a big ole wind scoop, as i dont have a rack.
    I've seen folks transport boats & canoes that way. Makes me nervous, especially at highway speeds. Even strapped down on the bed rack as pictured in my 1st photo, I keep the highway speed below 100 kmh, usually around 90 where allowed. Many of the roads I travel have an 80 limit, I take my time & don't cheat as I would with an unloaded vehicle or my motorbikes . If you can't get a proper rack in time for the hunt, I would leave it behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Hmmm, I like this thread and your canoe is way to beautiful to pull over beaver dams. I have to go with the canoe over the boat. They are such simple and diverse tools. I am so looking forward to getting out hunting this year and now you have me thinking of a canoe vs boot leather trip. Or both.
    While I don't have the canoe along on every hunting trip, early in the season before the snow flies & lakes freeze I do make an effort to bring it. This usually on the more local trips. As far as dragging over beaver dams, done that many times. They're sticks & mud, don't think any of the scratches the canoe has accumulated over the years are from that manoeuvre. I do take care when launching/landing to avoid rocks etc, usually involves getting wet feet. I built it to use it & with the build experience I have the skills & materials to fix pretty much any faux pas including holes. Built it in 2005 & only this year applied a couple coats of fresh varnish.

I'm able to access this tree stand in about 20 minutes with the canoe early in the season. Lake is fairly high in the alpine, so it freezes over quickly come October/November. Photos from Sept 2020.

Same tree stand in October involves close to an hour hike carrying pack, gear etc through a couple feet of snow. There's an overgrown trail for most of it but the last few hundred meters are through heavy forest with plenty of deadfall. Lake still mostly open, but the end the creek feeds into has a sheet of thin ice. 3 moose feeding at the mouth of the creek, including a spiker. A week too early though, I was after deer.
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-31-2021 at 01:20 PM.

Why do moose have 4 feet?

Because 8 inches isn't enough.

The owner of Clipper Canoes is a moose hunter. He uses one of his V-sterned freighter models in Kevlar. "How else can you feel 20 years younger?"

A canoe is the greatest thing Canada has given the world. You can use them on heavy dew and when it 's dry, you can carry it. And they Pack. Down side, they take some skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post

A canoe is the greatest thing Canada has given the world.
    Really, Canada? To the world?
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I have a Clipper Tripper but I’m thinking a square stern Mackenzie would be the cats ass !
    Is that the model that Marlin uses ? Wonder what length ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    The owner of Clipper Canoes is a moose hunter. He uses one of his V-sterned freighter models in Kevlar. "How else can you feel 20 years younger?"

A canoe is the greatest thing Canada has given the world. You can use them on heavy dew and when it 's dry, you can carry it. And they Pack. Down side, they take some skill.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !