Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

Hi all,

Question regarding boats on a moose hunt. We have an early draw moose hunt. We have two options, my 11 ft inflatable with 15 hp prop outboard, or my partners high end canoe.

The area has a bunch of small/medium lakes, and small/medium streams. Both the boat/engine and canoe present different transport problems. I don't have a rack of any sort, and will be hauling my quad in my truck, towing a trailer. Fuel will be a 3 hour drive away, so that's going to bean issue regardless.

Which option would you bring?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

For hauling moose? Inflatable. Is it a soft floor or rib? And if you are using river/lake for transport, why the quad?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

The idea is to use canoe/boat for both hunting and transport. I wanted the quad to get into hunting spots. It seems like I would likely regret not bringing it.

I'm a pretty experienced hunter, but have not yet succeeded on a moose hunt.

We always take a canoe. Cost us $100.00 with paddles. Took 3 years before it got used but made what would of been a crappy pack out easy. We used to debate taking it but comes along every time now.

Nothing like trolling in a canoe with electric motor and hunting at the same time.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Hmm always the inflatable 8 1/2 foot with 2 hp ob.
    Cheers good luck straights hooting and SMILE..
    most fun you can have with your clothes on
    Srupp

I brought my canoe along on a 2018 Moose LEH south of Vanderhoof. We camped by a lake so I was able to go for some very nice paddles but virtually all the hunting was done on land. I made one scouting trip with the canoe where I was able to access areas that a powerboat of any kind would have no chance to get to. Motor is heard for miles, just like a quad. For our hunts we would spread out to different spots using quads & motorbike, then sit. Changed locations a number of times & took one day for a long loop ride on forestry roads with the quads/bike. We were successful late in the 1st week of a planned 2 week stay.

If the boat ends up as a method of transporting the animal, it can be quartered & easily hauled in a good size canoe. Just going to take more than one trip is all. Had we not shot the moose fairly close to a road so I could get my Taco in, it would have been same scenario, quartered animal back to camp with multiple quad trips.

You can sneak up on shit in a canoe. This day I had the scattergun along as well & took a crack at some ducks at the far end of the lake. Missed. Caught a Rainbow with the fly rod.

Exploring up a creek feeding into the lake, I was able to easily drag the canoe over a number of small dams. Hard to beat a motor boat for covering distance fast on a large body of water though.

This was the end of the line with the canoe. I explored further on foot. Nice hike up & over a high point to an open meadow that looked promising. But we got our moose in a totally different area.
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-29-2021 at 08:47 PM.

is it ok to strap a canoe on an angle over my truck roof...(about 14 hours or highway driving each way)? it seems like a big ole wind scoop, as i dont have a rack.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm always the inflatable 8 1/2 foot with 2 hp ob.
    Cheers good luck straights hooting and SMILE..
    most fun you can have with your clothes on
    Srupp
    thank you, sir!

Put some thick foam on the back edge of the roof of your truck (put a soft rag under the foam as well if you care about your paint), and then ratchet strap it down snug. I’d ratchet the tailgate end too. You’ll be fine on the drive.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.