Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin mini vs explorer

Re: Garmin mini vs explorer

this thread yesterday was a good reminder for me to sync my Garmin 66i to my phone. I had a bluetooth connection issue which I got solved in a minute. Sent a test inReach message to my wife and it worked.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have a Garmin in-reach and bought a plan. It uploads a breadcrumb every 5 min. to a satellite ( if it can see one ) and it has been working real well. I'm a pensioner but spend a lot of time in the woods with my doggie. My wife and daughter have access to my account and maps and they can see where I am. You can also send and receive text messages depending on the plan you have. Has been working flawlessly for over a year now. Really like it.

Love the yellow Garmin IR I bought 4 yrs ago. ( the big cheaper one with less map functions). But would buy the mini today. Mine is very easy on batteries. Just use it morning, noon and evening typically. It’s off the rest of the time. Could make a 10 day hunt without charging with 50% of battery left. Mini would need one charge for me thru same use. And I send about 1/2 the messages either PRE-canned or brief ones I type direct on the IR. Saves firing up the battery eating iPhone. And there was a new update for the IR when we connected two days ago. Last connected in May.

I have used spots in the past; they were junk. Used an inreach and no problems. I also used a zoleo the day. Worked great. Food for thought

Our crew have mostly moved to the InReach Mini. Using the Earthmate app, you really don't have to type on the inReach. But if you have to, it isn't a big deal. It sure kept everyone in touch when they needed a pick up, or pack frame....

Garmin Montana 750i, with BC backroad maps 2021. big enough screen to see the map, it even shows the hunting zones, etc, etc.
    no need to conect to the phone, touch screen, can type right from the device. SOS, Pricey but you get what you pay for.
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

The mini has preset message but definitely have to check everything before you leave

I have a mini and it was tucked away in the off season, and when i went to reactivate it, it wouldn’t turn on, so check well in advance to needing it, garmin was super quick to connect on the phone and tried a bunch of stuff to get it going, nothing worked and the overnighted one to me as a replacement. , transferred the service and boom, back in business. , all in all from it not powering on the first time, to having a new one, was 4 business days

other then that issue i love it, connects to the phone if i want which makes it easy to use, most times i just use it and the preset messages on it

My Inreach is a few years old. A couple weeks ago I was on a fly in hunt. My Inreach worked fine the first half of the hunt. Then one day I put my Inreach in my pocket when it was at 70% battery. Pulled it out an hour later and the thing is completely dead. Tried charging it up with my goal zero flip 10 and it’s not charging at all. Screen doesn’t light up at all. Tried resetting it…. Nothing. So that sucked, but luckily my partner had an Inreach as well so we were ok for the rest the trip. So I get home, and just for snits and giggles I plug it into the wall charger, and it starts charging! So now it works but how do I ever trust this device Again??? Very frustrating. I’ve contacted garmin but haven’t heard back yet. Any one else had similar issues?

Says right inthe instructions to test before you leave home