Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin mini vs explorer

Garmin mini vs explorer

I know there’s a thread like this every 3 months, but I have a quick story for those trying to decide.

A friend of mine was heading out solo for 7 days last week. He got to his parking spot which had no cell service and his phone wouldn’t connect to the mini. He needed to update either the app or his phone, not sure. He headed out anyways and took a tumble roughly 15km in the backcountry and did something to his knee. He did limp out, but if something more serious happened he would’ve been screwed. Even the best case scenario he wasn’t checking in with his wife or whoever.

I know a few people have had connection issues with the bigger units, but this is just one more thing to go wrong and he has to own his part for not checking his gear before heading out. This issue and the 50 hour battery life would keep me away from the mini.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin mini vs explorer

Good thing I bought a Mini a few months back!

But seriously, I will use this as an opportunity to make sure things are all updated before heading out! Correct me if I’m wrong, but are there not set messages on the Mini that you can send without your phone connected?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Yeah I always start playing around with my inReach a few days before I head out.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Good thing I bought a Mini a few months back!

But seriously, I will use this as an opportunity to make sure things are all updated before heading out! Correct me if I’m wrong, but are there not set messages on the Mini that you can send without your phone connected?
    I’m not sure about the preset messages as I don’t own one, but I thought it had the sos button on it. I spoke with him briefly on the side of the road when I was headed in and he was headed out. I invited him to stick around for dinner and a bs, but he had to find some service to let his loved ones know he was ok.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

You can type and send messages on it as well. Have to scroll through to select each character but, its doable. Plus preset messages, SOS feature as well, Yes. Mine has been outstanding.
    Never waited more than a few minutes to connect to satellites. Cloud cover and tent has never been an issue.

I like the explorer. I'm not very good at figuring out electronics, but find it easy to use. Map feature isn't great in my opinion, but it's better than no map.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Its good practice to do an update and sync every 3 month. And do a quick check before you head out and have a computer and cell service.

Sucks to find out there is an issue when you need it.

I have the old InReach Explorer.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I have the garmin mini ,it sounds like your friend never did his homework !!
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

I think we need a sticky for all the GPS InReach related stuff . Well I do LOL !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Be careful not to overcharge your mini. Had the battery bricked on mine while on a solo trip by Dease lake