Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ear protection while hunting?

Ear protection while hunting?

A couple of my hunting guns have brakes on them so I've been giving more thought to wearing ear protection while hunting.

I'm looking for something that fits in my ear and offers noise cancelling. I don't like passive earplugs because they block out important hunting sounds and I don't like the earmuff type because they look, well, silly.

Recommendations?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ear protection while hunting?

What style of hunting do you do? I rely on my hearing while walking or hiking so would not consider it. If you go that way, comfort is key. I do recommend custom earplugs and they are similar price to a good pair of ear muffs

I have custom earplugs for waterfowling, but they are finicky to put in and take too long, so I just have foam plugs in every available pocket and the first thing I do when spotting a critter is put plugs in. I have no muzzle brake rifles but do have tinnitus and hearing damage so ear plugs are essential.

Nope, need my hearing for hunting, especially in Grizzly country, and I hate muzzle brakes

The ones I'm looking for improve your hearing while hunting, then cancel the bang of the rifle when you pull the trigger.

There are lots on the market, I'm surprised more people haven't chipped in.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I use ear plugs that hang around my neck. Always at the ready. When I come home from a day of hunting I hang them on the grab loop of my pack so I don’t forget them for next time.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I have a set of the noise canceling ear buds. They both enhance sound below a certain dB threshold and then cut off all noise above a given dB level. I've been pretty happy with them, battery life is decent and I hear better with them in then my regular hearing. My only real complaint is that a significant portion of the ear bud is outside the ear, and they have been hit by branches, clothing, etc.

But I can shoot my braked rifles in the woods with zero issues. I wouldn't recommend them for range use.

i am a big fan of the SWATCOM Active8 Waterproof Headset, Headband, Gel Ear-seals
    Turn up the volume and you can hear everything clearly. They have directional microphones so you know where the sound is coming from in the field.
    They are waterproof and very comfortable. I wear them for the full day out hunting. I don't know how long the batteries, 2 x AAA will last, but so far I have been wearing them at the range 2 hours a week for the last 6 months and 20 full days of hunting on the same set.
    They also keep my ears warm in those late fall hunts.

Don't hunt with partners who use a muzzle brake.

I sometimes carry ear plugs around my neck but I will admit I forget everytime in the moment to use them.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    i am a big fan of the SWATCOM Active8 Waterproof Headset, Headband, Gel Ear-seals
    Turn up the volume and you can hear everything clearly. They have directional microphones so you know where the sound is coming from in the field.
    They are waterproof and very comfortable. I wear them for the full day out hunting. I don't know how long the batteries, 2 x AAA will last, but so far I have been wearing them at the range 2 hours a week for the last 6 months and 20 full days of hunting on the same set.
    They also keep my ears warm in those late fall hunts.
    +1, I started wearing earpro a few seasons ago for every type of hunting, waterfowl was a given but now wearing them for upland and big game. Tried howard leights (decent sound but not great for directional hearing and very uncomfortable when worn for long periods), peltor sport tactical 100 (very lightweight and comfortable, decent sound but instead of lowering the db for loud sounds it clips out the sound this was a huge drawback).

My hearing and ears are worth spending a bit of money and I love the SWATCOM Active8's that I bought. Super comfortable great directional sound. I don't shoot anything now without some sort of earpro on. The drawback for the hearing aid type ear pro is battery life. They charge by USB and you are out of luck if they randomly die on you where muffs have ridiculously long battery life and it's easy to keep a couple spare AAA's on you to pop in if the battery dies.