Thread: fires and new spots

fires and new spots

Yet another dismal fire season is upon us.

Last i remember, it was 2017 that was another bad one. Curious how many folks have been hunting the areas that burned in 2017 and how you've been doing.

Have you noticed an increase in deer numbers in those spots?
    Have you had increased success in them?

I intended to hunt some of those burns from 2017, but have fallen in the age old trap of too many spots to check out, not enough time. However, i'm making a note for the 2021 fires and hoping to do better going forward.

Wanted to hear your thoughts on the post 2017 fire locations - No need to mention area names, just your overall experience.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: fires and new spots

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    You been away for awhile? The fires have been “upon us” for a couple of months now!

But I digress. I have hunted previously burnt areas before, but I don’t know if they were from ‘17. I think a bit before. I do know that one of my main spots burnt this year, and I will probably have a look there when I drive east on my bird trip in Alberta. I think traditionally fires are good for regrowth and the sweet spot is 3-4 years post fire for delicious young plants for the deer, so if you have those ‘17 burns mapped, I would definitely check them out.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    You been away for awhile? The fires have been “upon us” for a couple of months now!

But I digress. I have hunted previously burnt areas before, but I don’t know if they were from ‘17. I think a bit before. I do know that one of my main spots burnt this year, and I will probably have a look there when I drive east on my bird trip in Alberta. I think traditionally fires are good for regrowth and the sweet spot is 3-4 years post fire for delicious young plants for the deer, so if you have those ‘17 burns mapped, I would definitely check them out.
    Upon us means it's happening. It doesn't imply that it had just started.
    I'm well aware fires have been burning for months.

.... the fkn hair splitters on here sometimes ....

I’ve noticed an increase in hunters in burned areas, any accessible areas in burns means increased hunter activity. Good number of animals a few years after a burn but lots of bucks get shot at a young age.
    Brian011

There was some monster bucks shot out of barrier after that fire.
    Seems the following few years are best.
    Edge hills seems to produce lots of bucks every year.
    Last edited by rageous; 08-22-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Last i remember, it was 2017 that was another bad one. Curious how many folks have been hunting the areas that burned in 2017 and how you've been doing.

Have you noticed an increase in deer numbers in those spots?
    Have you had increased success in them?

I intended to hunt some of those burns from 2017, but have fallen in the age old trap of too many spots to check out, not enough time. However, i'm making a note for the 2021 fires and hoping to do better going forward.

Wanted to hear your thoughts on the post 2017 fire locations - No need to mention area names, just your overall experience.

Thanks!
    I had an area burn in 2017 and haven't noticed much difference.

Roughly same number of deer around, but they are always gone (or mostly gone) in the last week of August.

So in my case nothing really changed. It's one of those things that is definitely going to vary from one area to another.

.... the fkn hair splitters on here sometimes ....
    The fkn unable to grasp that it was a joke people on here most times...

You could just laughed it off and read the rest of the post.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I would say less deer in the area I hunt since 2017. They are still there and the big guys still migrate through but I have been seeing less. Typically hunt this area late October into mid November. But that's just my own experience.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I talked to a bio right after the 2017 fires because I was curious. He said that the year right after a burn will be bad as there will be little/ no food. Mix in a bad winter (like 2017) and you'll have even further increased die off. But its short term loss for long term gain - even the year right after there should be a surplus of food which means larger healthy females -> more offspring and better offspring survival -> more deer for many years. But I think from talking with him and from my own reading the sweet spot seems to be about 7 years. Lots of time for animal numbers to re-cooperate and age with the increased food available but the structure of the plants will change and the amount of food available will start to decline.

I went mushroom picking in 2017 in a burn and liked the area. I started hunting there after because I liked how it looked. I don't know what numbers were like before but the deer population seems healthy to me. Nothing crazy, no moster bucks, but one or two good sized bucks that always best me. Hoping to go back this year and get one with my bow.