Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS Questions ?

Re: GPS Questions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Lol he asked for something he can use in case of emergency. A compass isn’t going to help him if he’s laying in a bush somewhere needing help or has a vehicle breakdown and needs to let family know he’s safe. The piece of mind an Inreach gives is huge.
    Sorry didn't see that part..you are right, for that I use a SPOT, can't write specific texts but for has A OK messaging as well as assistance needed and SOS... And it's a good price so definitely an option to consider there Arctic Lake..

Thanks again fellas ! I’m reading your replies !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    nope, you can use it as a stand alone GPS if you like. you have to pay for the plan for SOS and texting.

i have the inreach explorer+. with the app its a pleasure, easy to set waypoints and trips. you can get by with free apps like Canada Topo, but they tend to drain your phone battery quickly.

the cheapest option is the inreach mini, but you have to pair it with your phone and use the app for messaging, or its just a big SOS device.

obviously nothing beats real navigation skills, but i got the inreach for the SOS and texting. let's me keep hunting as my wife knows i'm A-OK and can check in with her. worth every penny.
    Exactly. My Mrs. is a lot more comfortable with me off alone when I've got the Explorer. It has three short pre-set free messages too so I can send daily "Everything is okay" messages as well as two others. Mine are: #1. Got here fine. #2. Everything is okay. #3. Staying one more day.

Even with the cheapest monthly plan with the Garmin Explorer + you can send ten short email messages home if you want to provide a little more detail on your trip. My wife was gratified last year when I informed her that my buddy had found my camp and joined me.

Those messages also indicate to the recipient the exact location you are sending from.

I am not sure off the top of my head if the pre-set messages include your exact GPS coordinates.

I hardly used the GPS function last year, but last month on a hiking trip I tried it out. It's pretty basic compared to many others, but it is way more than I ever had before.

I'm not a big spender, in fact I have never spent $600.00 on any hunting gear before, not for a rifle, scope or binoculars. But in this case, the $600 or so I spent on my Explorer +was well worth it.
    Last edited by MichelD; 08-22-2021 at 12:13 PM.

For the last year I have been using the inreach mini. In order to text and have the SOS features you do need a monthly plan. I pair it with my iPhone, which I always bring for photos, video, ebooks, etc. The Earthmate app. on the phone is a good interface that allows you to text and received weather updates. The phone also seems to have a pretty good GPS ability without service and the inreach powered off. Plus it is small and light.

Overall very happy with it.

What do the monthly plans cost for these (explorer/inreach) units?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    What do the monthly plans cost for these (explorer/inreach) units?
    https://discover.garmin.com/en-CA/in...#subscriptions

Here's my dos centavos. I'm sure there will be 10 guys jump in with exactly the opposite experience but here is mine.

I bought a 66i about a year (maybe 2 now..) ago. It's a rocket ship. It can do everything. But, it's also a hot mess. Garmin bought InReach - and I think some other companies and cludged everything together.

You can do a lot of neat stuff with it on your phone - after you figure out the clunky system. You need to have 2 apps running on the phone or laptop (connect and explore) in order to make it sync. THen you can do some stuff only on the explore app - some only on the connect app- and some only on the unit. Also, don't bother trying to connect with the cord. 3/4 of the USB cords don't work - even Garmin sent me several in hopes that at least one would work. Fortunately, you can do all the updates etc wirelessly - even though I didn't think that was very clearly explained.

You really want to use the phone (or ipad) app with it. It is so much easier to scoll and zoom through maps on your phone than on the unit.

I have used Garmin a lot because I had units on boats for years from way back in the 90's. If I didn't have that experience I would find using the unit extremely frustrating - and even with my experience I sometimes get a bit exasperated with the damn thing.

I do really like the web portal that they have for your laptop. It's kind of cool. But, again - it's not intuitive and they have a bunch of outdated software (basecamp for example) that they no longer support, still make available, but don't do a good job of explaining or migrating you to the newer software.

I carry it for the SOS button. I spent a few days off grid with my 10 year old. He always knows where the unit is - and how to use it. When we put on our waders or grab a pack - I tell him where it is on my person (along with my keys, cell phone, and anything else relevant BTW) and make sure he knows how to use it. We even sometimes run through the scenarios (for example - 'if I couldn't talk or fell down what do you think the right action would be?').

It's nice to be able to send texts but I find that I use that feature A LOT LESS than I thought I would. Even off grid for a couple of days I think I sent 3. All anyone needs is a quick 'I'm safe'. We can catch up on stuff when we get back in cell range. But that's me. YMMV.

I set up my truck so the 66i has a mount/charger on the dash. Then I sync it with a small ipad that is also mounted on the dash. My son and I spent several days driving around exploring and we found we preferred using Gaia about 90% of the time. THe only time the Garmin was better was if we hadn't pre downloaded a map for a certain area. In that case, the Garmin was far superior because we already had the maps in it. BTW I have BRMB on both the garmin and Gaia. BRMB definitely worth the money.

I wish Garmin would buy Gaia and just move to the Gaia system for mapping. Then I think we would have the best of both worlds.

If you're in Vancouver or can catch me when I'm up at my cabin near Kamloops I'm happy to let you play with the unit and software.

WOW ! Sorry but some of that went over my head as I have never used a GPS of any kind ! It seems to me that a 66i would not be for a novice to the GPS scene . Ease of operation will be key for me in what I purchase .I know myself and I tend to catch on slower than most with things .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Here's my dos centavos. I'm sure there will be 10 guys jump in with exactly the opposite experience but here is mine.

I bought a 66i about a year (maybe 2 now..) ago. It's a rocket ship. It can do everything. But, it's also a hot mess. Garmin bought InReach - and I think some other companies and cludged everything together.

You can do a lot of neat stuff with it on your phone - after you figure out the clunky system. You need to have 2 apps running on the phone or laptop (connect and explore) in order to make it sync. THen you can do some stuff only on the explore app - some only on the connect app- and some only on the unit. Also, don't bother trying to connect with the cord. 3/4 of the USB cords don't work - even Garmin sent me several in hopes that at least one would work. Fortunately, you can do all the updates etc wirelessly - even though I didn't think that was very clearly explained.

You really want to use the phone (or ipad) app with it. It is so much easier to scoll and zoom through maps on your phone than on the unit.

I have used Garmin a lot because I had units on boats for years from way back in the 90's. If I didn't have that experience I would find using the unit extremely frustrating - and even with my experience I sometimes get a bit exasperated with the damn thing.

I do really like the web portal that they have for your laptop. It's kind of cool. But, again - it's not intuitive and they have a bunch of outdated software (basecamp for example) that they no longer support, still make available, but don't do a good job of explaining or migrating you to the newer software.

I carry it for the SOS button. I spent a few days off grid with my 10 year old. He always knows where the unit is - and how to use it. When we put on our waders or grab a pack - I tell him where it is on my person (along with my keys, cell phone, and anything else relevant BTW) and make sure he knows how to use it. We even sometimes run through the scenarios (for example - 'if I couldn't talk or fell down what do you think the right action would be?').

It's nice to be able to send texts but I find that I use that feature A LOT LESS than I thought I would. Even off grid for a couple of days I think I sent 3. All anyone needs is a quick 'I'm safe'. We can catch up on stuff when we get back in cell range. But that's me. YMMV.

I set up my truck so the 66i has a mount/charger on the dash. Then I sync it with a small ipad that is also mounted on the dash. My son and I spent several days driving around exploring and we found we preferred using Gaia about 90% of the time. THe only time the Garmin was better was if we hadn't pre downloaded a map for a certain area. In that case, the Garmin was far superior because we already had the maps in it. BTW I have BRMB on both the garmin and Gaia. BRMB definitely worth the money.

I wish Garmin would buy Gaia and just move to the Gaia system for mapping. Then I think we would have the best of both worlds.

If you're in Vancouver or can catch me when I'm up at my cabin near Kamloops I'm happy to let you play with the unit and software.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

The explorer was my first gps, so I also had next to no experience with the 66i. It is incredibly easy to use, not “clunky” at all? I have also never had an issue with the cord, and only need the explore app to sync. Also have no difficulties using it without my phone-which was my main reason for buying it, I got tired of pairing my phone to the old explorer for the better maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    WOW ! Sorry but some of that went over my head as I have never used a GPS of any kind ! It seems to me that a 66i would not be for a novice to the GPS scene . Ease of operation will be key for me in what I purchase .I know myself and I tend to catch on slower than most with things .
    Arctic Lake
    Hey buddy..send me a PM with phone number I will call you on myour dime at your convenience..first individual in Cariboo to have a civilian GPS..HUGE SLOW BASIC..however it did work..today's units are light years ahead..small sophisticated and blistering speed..newest isn't always best ie Garmin 700 series..tradeoffs.
    Emergency comunication devices been a SPOT rep for ? 11 12 years
    Cheers
    Steven