Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS Questions ?

GPS Questions ?

So I’m considering buying a GPS . Not sure how much I want to spend , but I probably would not buy a very basic model but not the absolutely highest priced one either . I would like one for navigating and use it in case of emergency , if they have that function .

I currently have a an ICOM handheld radio for some safety aspects and an older cell phone but I don’t have a data plan , I just use my cell for texts and calls , basic plan and that’s all I need . Don’t know if that helps for you fellas making recommendations
    As Always Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: GPS Questions ?

I had a garmin explorer+ that served me well, I upgraded to a garmin 66i and love it even more. Both are inreach units. The explorer model is a fairly basic GPS but did it’s job of not letting me get lost and allowing me to keep in contact. The 66i allows for the much better mapping as well as accepting the backroads chip. The 66i is up there in price, however.

66I here as well, both myself and my hunting buddy have it and neither of us would even consider anything else.

I like my Garmin Montana. Had an Oregon for years. Rugged units. No emerg function though. Topo Canada loaded that I purchased when I had the Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    I had a garmin explorer+ that served me well, I upgraded to a garmin 66i and love it even more. Both are inreach units. The explorer model is a fairly basic GPS but did it’s job of not letting me get lost and allowing me to keep in contact. The 66i allows for the much better mapping as well as accepting the backroads chip. The 66i is up there in price, however.
    I got the explorer + as well.

So when you buy a device like the Explorer or 66i do you need a plan that makes it operational ?
    Sorry fellas I don’t know a thing about them !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Become proficient with a compass and using the sun to navigate and save the$$ for better glass...

PM me if you want some pointers...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    So when you buy a device like the Explorer or 66i do you need a plan that makes it operational ?
    Sorry fellas I don’t know a thing about them !
    Arctic Lake
    nope, you can use it as a stand alone GPS if you like. you have to pay for the plan for SOS and texting.

i have the inreach explorer+. with the app its a pleasure, easy to set waypoints and trips. you can get by with free apps like Canada Topo, but they tend to drain your phone battery quickly.

the cheapest option is the inreach mini, but you have to pair it with your phone and use the app for messaging, or its just a big SOS device.

obviously nothing beats real navigation skills, but i got the inreach for the SOS and texting. let's me keep hunting as my wife knows i'm A-OK and can check in with her. worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Become proficient with a compass and using the sun to navigate and save the$$ for better glass...

PM me if you want some pointers...
    Lol he asked for something he can use in case of emergency. A compass isn’t going to help him if he’s laying in a bush somewhere needing help or has a vehicle breakdown and needs to let family know he’s safe. The piece of mind an Inreach gives is huge.

as a navigation GPS, any of the Garmin 60 series units work very well ( 60, 62 64) Good used ones come up often on classified sites. Usually less than $200.