Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: programming Baofeng with file?

programming Baofeng with file?

am i correct in my understanding that (with the proper cable) programming a Baofeng UV-82 is as simple as sending a file with the BC channels in it? if so, would anyone be so kind as to help me with the file? i'm expecting the cable any day now. i have a trip deep into northern BC looging roads, and having worked in forestry, i know how critical it is to call kms.

happy to buy a case of beer for the trouble!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: programming Baofeng with file?

You can also print a cheat sheet of the RR channels and dial them in when you hit the dirt. There are way more RR channels than there are presets on that radio. Unless you have a ham license, your illegal anyway, so having user programable is kind of like speeding with a tail light out.

But that being said, if you find someone to help you with this, I know a guy who might be interested in getting a couple programmed as well.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I have the baofeng Uv-5re8w. It was literally as simple as downloading a program called chirp on my computer (free) uploading the file to it, plugging it my radio to the computer and adding the file to it. Very easy to use. Shows which freq. Is on which channel. User friendly program I would say.

And it might be illegal. But I would say never enforced. And near impossible to enforce. Better to be safe than sorry and have a radio on those roads.
    I also believe they should make the licenses more user friendly and have a "weekend end warrior " license option, one time fee. Rather than a yearly renewal. I think it would encourage people to actually get a license than. Heck, I know I would.

I could never understand why people want to program their baofengs.
    Just do what Redthies says, use frequency mode and punch the channel whenever you need it.
    Have a list of channels on your phone or print it.
    It's simple.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Getting a Baofeng is like putting a junk scope on your sheep hunting rifle. You can do a lot better for a few dollars more.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

You Tube walks you through the programming. Easy to follow instructions.

When I did mine a few years back, google search helped me find the file with the channels.
    Few minutes later, radio good to go.

Yes they all fit on the radio, and simple quick scroll to proper RR channel.
    I use the A/B to have the next road I branch off, so a quick 1 button press and onto the next road.
    I have Ladd, and several other channel programmed in, and they all fit.

Last weekend on Sat, came across a single buncher working along the road, he had posted his frequency on a sign board. A few seconds later, I safely passed, and I'm sure he was happy to know there were no surprises as he was working. I don't think he was expecting anyone, but he sure sounded relieved when I called out to him, and was able to pass safely when he stopped for a minute to let me pass by.

Yup, use CHIRP.
    I did have a few frustrating moments, when i had to do several radios at the the same time using a "saved file".
    Was pretty close to sending them flying into the wall.
    But i did figure it out eventually.
    Get the cable.

I have a file that was sent to me from a HBC member that has the channels all pre programmed.. If you would like it, I can send it to you when I am home next. I find it much easier than fumbling for a piece of paper, or your phone to look up freq. Channels. And an analogy if putting an expensive scope on a rifle, I just don't understand. That would only make sense if you'd already spent money on a radio. But you haven't. Most people I know start off with affordable/cheap and see what their needs are. Either upgrade the hand held (which is still only so good for transmitting/receiving distance) or to a truck mount which will actually go the distance if so desired.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Getting a Baofeng is like putting a junk scope on your sheep hunting rifle. You can do a lot better for a few dollars more.
    Some would argue buying a Motorola or Kenwood or Icom is a waste of money because the Baofengs do the same job for a fraction of the cost. On 9 out of 10 things, I’m a “buy once, cry once” type of guy, but I see the appeal for the cheaper radios if you are just using them occasionally on a forestry rd. If you are regularly 20 miles offshore in your 25’ boat, or working under a heavy-lift helicopter for work by all means, spend on a high quality radio set. If your calling out km markers on the few weekends a year you deer hunt, the Bf is totally fine. If you are a fulltime road hunter that drives logging roads all day long, all season long, to hunt, get a good radio, with a license, or better yet, get a life!!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.