Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: programming Baofeng with file?

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: programming Baofeng with file?

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    My new UV-5R Radio is 5 watt and i need another similar one UV-82HP with 10 watt's - nearly the same price - is it BETTER to be getting it ? or a UV-S9 RJ

I have friends that have the UV-5R and it works well and they are not rushing to change, but I have the UV-82HP and when both radios are together the 82 did receive and send to another radio further away that the 5R did not even pick up. So for what ever reason it might look similar inside the 82 performed a better, it was worth the extra few bucks. I believe the 82 is 8 watts , not 10, have to double check
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

82HPs are switchable from 1 to 5 to 8 watts (low, med and high power modes).
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    I have friends that have the UV-5R and it works well and they are not rushing to change, but I have the UV-82HP and when both radios are together the 82 did receive and send to another radio further away that the 5R did not even pick up.
    What sort of distance and what sort of terrain?

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    What sort of distance and what sort of terrain?

Would not matter if it was across the ocean or in the Rockies for that test the 82 was better than the 5R, it was comparison between the two in identical conditions, but this was out Nanaimo lakes up past 4 th lake to a friend at Echo lake, about 12 kms, with only one low ridge between us
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

ok, thanks for all the feedback. the industry canada website for RR frequencies i found (RR — British Columbia Resource Road Channels - Spectrum management and telecommunications) only has one frequency listed, but the baofeng software is looking for receive and transmit. Any suggestions on what's going on?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tripleseven View Post
    ok, thanks for all the feedback. the industry canada website for RR frequencies i found (RR — British Columbia Resource Road Channels - Spectrum management and telecommunications) only has one frequency listed, but the baofeng software is looking for receive and transmit. Any suggestions on what's going on?

Thanks!

Receive and transmit frequencies are the same number when used on the resource road frequencies. (simplex) That is why only one number is published.
    The resource road frequencies are also narrow band (12.5Khz) There should also be a setting for that in the channel programming of the radio.

As an explanation: repeaters would use different transmit and receive frequencies. That is why that setting is in the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    Would not matter if it was across the ocean or in the Rockies for that test the 82 was better than the 5R, it was comparison between the two in identical conditions, but this was out Nanaimo lakes up past 4 th lake to a friend at Echo lake, about 12 kms, with only one low ridge between us
    It would totally matter the conditions. I was curious about the range you were getting with each. The 82 has almost double the power of the 5R so it’s always going to work at greater distances.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Receive and transmit frequencies are the same number when used on the resource road frequencies. (simplex) That is why only one number is published.
    The resource road frequencies are also narrow band (12.5Khz) There should also be a setting for that in the channel programming of the radio.

As an explanation: repeaters would use different transmit and receive frequencies. That is why that setting is in the radio.
    appreciate it westcoaster.

if i had the funds i'd definetely buy a better radio. having worked on northern roads, i fully understand the safety of communicating with loaded haul trucks. i know first hand the range difference between a 5 watt handheld with stubby antenna and truck 25 watt radio. the handheld barely serves a purpose with it's limited range, but it's something if you call frequently.

As it stands now baofeng is what's in my budget, and something is better than nothing. i also understand simplex vs duplex, and know you know what you're talking about. if you have a used truck radio for a reasonable price, pm me. i dont live on the mainland, and wouldnt likely use for than a week or two a year.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleseven View Post
    appreciate it westcoaster.

if i had the funds i'd definetely buy a better radio. having worked on northern roads, i fully understand the safety of communicating with loaded haul trucks. i know first hand the range difference between a 5 watt handheld with stubby antenna and truck 25 watt radio. the handheld barely serves a purpose with it's limited range, but it's something if you call frequently.

As it stands now baofeng is what's in my budget, and something is better than nothing. i also understand simplex vs duplex, and know you know what you're talking about. if you have a used truck radio for a reasonable price, pm me. i dont live on the mainland, and wouldnt likely use for than a week or two a year.
    When a fella fully comprehends the differences and what needs to be done to compensate, you'll find no argument from me....
    The external antenna posted earlier will definitely help...
    Meanwhile, I'll continue to promote doing things the proper way if possible while understanding/accepting that for some people compromises have to be made....

Good, Fast, Cheep. You can only pick two.... If you want it good and cheep, you won't get it fast.... Keep an eye out in the local adverts or in a pawn shop. Something will eventually turn up for the right price. Meanwhile, use the baofeng...

Alberta seems to have quite a few VHF radios on Kijiji
    Here is an example:
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-car-audio-gp...0313?undefined (I don't know the seller and am in no way affiliated)
    Used Kenwood 2-Way radios for sale
    Kenwood nx700k - 30 watt, 512 channel capacity 4 Available - $250 each
    Kenwood TK7180k - 30 watt, 512 channel capacity 1 Available - $250
    Kenwood TK7180hk - 50 watt, 512 channel capacity 1 Available - $275
    Kenwood TK7360hk - 50 watt, 128 channel capacity 2 Available - $200 each
    Radios come with unit and mic only, no external antenna. All radios have been tested and can be hooked up and checked prior to purchase

$200 for a TK-7360 (current radio model) is pretty reasonable....
    Last edited by westcoaster; 08-25-2021 at 11:40 PM.

I grabbed an external antenna for my 82 the other day. I was getting 5-6 kms of reception in the Okanagan mountains last fall, which is plenty for me to pull out and wait for a loaded truck to pass, which is my MO. I don’t usually call out my kms, as I am not authorized to be on someone else’s channel. I DO keep a very close ear on any and all downhill traffic. I think I mentioned before that any authorized vehicles I pass, or that pass me while I’m pulled out will announce my location on the road. If it’s a really heavily travelled road, I will call my kms.

I will stop and chat with any workers I see on the road and ask them if they would like me to call out on their channel. I talked with a grader operator last fall who was super happy I stopped to chat. He said 95% of hunters fly past him swearing at him for “scaring away all the animals”. He told me about a huge wolf that would come out and sit on a big rock and watch him work for hours at a time. He also told me where he consistently saw deer hanging around. I know it’s not always a possibility to interact with the guys working on these roads (especially on the super busy ones, but I avoid those like the plague), but it’s all part of having a better time in my experience. They have a lot of time on the ground in those areas.