Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: programming Baofeng with file?

Re: programming Baofeng with file?

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    We all know the answer officer. But again you tell people to buy more expensive which still have the same guidelines. So do you work for a company that sells top end radios not affordable cheaper ones that work fine also
    No, I don't own or work for a company that sells radios.
    No, I am in no way connected to the radio business professionally.
    As I have stated on here before, commercial radios are simply an interest of mine. (hobby?)

What had motivated me to post so much lately (seemingly to your consternation) was the blatant false information and lack of understanding on the legalities of using a radio on the resource road frequencies.
    At a minimum, at least understand what laws you are breaking and what the consequences are should you get struck by lightning and get caught with an illegal radio... Yup, I agree, the chances are slim to none of being checked. Still though...

I'll say again, I'm not telling you to follow the law, What I am attempting to do is tell you what the law is and the consequence of not following the law. You can then make the choice for your set of circumstances.
    Acceptable risk for you may be unacceptable risk for the next fellow. At least he would be able to make a decision based on correct information rather than the misinformation that has been posted elsewhere in this forum.

As for my first post in this thread, If a fellow was truly motivated to get a radio for safety, then do the safe thing and do it right. A properly programmed radio installed professionally by a shop. The price tag should be irrelevant if it is truly a safety concern. Really, they are not that expensive....

If you want to dick around and see what owning a radio is about, test the waters so to speak, call a spade a spade, you are willing to risk dead batteries or dead spots or an improperly programmed radio in the name of saving a few bucks, I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is selling it as THE answer to someone's safety concerns.
    Are Baofengs "A" solution, yes they are and I am sure they work quite well. Are they "THE" solution for safety... No, they are not.... Is a Kenwood, Icom or Motorola portable radio THE solution? No, it is not....
    I really don't believe having a ~5 watt radio (any brand) with a rubber duck antenna sitting inside a steel cab down in a cup holder has the range necessary for proper communication under all circumstances. Sure, it will work ok under most circumstances.

I really don't believe having a ~5 watt radio (any brand) with a rubber duck antenna sitting inside a steel cab down in a cup holder has the range necessary for proper communication under all circumstances. Sure, it will work ok under most circumstances.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Which is why you should use this cheap little magnetic roof top antenna to easily quadruple your range. As I have stated before. When running with a group on a RR road. My mobile Icom 2300H is used to keep contact with the other trucks in my group. I also run at the same time a Baofeng with a little magnetic roof antenna loaded with the RR channels and calling the mileage and relay any info to the other trucks in tne group that do not have the same setup. If running by myself I also have preloaded all the RR's into My Icom so use that instead. And at 65 watts. It makes the trip. I see the price has gone up. used to be 12 bucks. https://www.amazon.ca/Bingfu-136-174...%2C282&sr=8-14
    Last edited by Stresd; 08-21-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks @Stresd. I ordered one. MY safety is totally worth $13.99!

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Also found the using using a corded mic plugged into the handheld makes it much easier to use in a vehicle. $11 https://www.amazon.ca/BaoFeng-BF-Spe...%2C284&sr=8-11 I always pack a couple spare antennas, mikes and Handhelds for vehicles that don't have any communications set up, and traveling with me on a road trip. Radio $33 off aliexpress and another $25 for Remote antenna and mike. So for under $60 bucks you have a very, very basic setup for having the ability to communicate when driving the backroads, or any other road for that matter.

I used my new UV-5R Radio today to chat with my Buddy and so far so Good ! WE did not get into any mountainous area's or very far apart so need a LOT more testing ! RJ

MIne has RR1 -RR35 LD-1 - LD-5 DOWNIE WELDWOO BCTS PT 2 LADD 1 2 3 & 4 FRS-1 -FRS-22 KEL-MILL KEL-YRD KEL YRD M1 - M-4 CG - M13 M15 M16-911 WEATHER MARINAS BC CG

91 total !

LOTS in it - Good Or Bad ?
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 08-21-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Also found the using using a corded mic plugged into the handheld makes it much easier to use in a vehicle. $11 https://www.amazon.ca/BaoFeng-BF-Spe...%2C284&sr=8-11 I always pack a couple spare antennas, mikes and Handhelds for vehicles that don't have any communications set up, and traveling with me on a road trip. Radio $33 off aliexpress and another $25 for Remote antenna and mike. So for under $60 bucks you have a very, very basic setup for having the ability to communicate when driving the backroads, or any other road for that matter.

I have the remote mikes for mine too. The only thing with the antenna is it WILL up the chance of getting checked for radios/licenses by “the man” from virtually non-existent to possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I have the remote mikes for mine too. The only thing with the antenna is it WILL up the chance of getting checked for radios/licenses by “the man” from virtually non-existent to possible.
    I only use the mag Handheld if in a group on an RR road. Other than that I have always had an almost 4' long 5/8 wave baseload VHF antenna mounted on a front hood lip mount of my trucks since 2008. First for my 2200H and now for my Icom 2300 H. Never been stopped for the antenna. And it is a hell of a lot more noticeable than a small 12" mag mount on the roof. Been pull over by the cops and gone through numerous road blocks and road checks. Both by the CVSE and the Mounties and in all those years, no one has ever question my Antenna or Vhf radio. Lucky me maybe. But no one seems to think it is a big deal, as long as you are not creating havoc or cross channeling everyone on the airwaves.

Yup. That’s the truth. Use your radio with thought and respect and you are unlikely to draw unwanted attention. Be all over the airwaves cursing and acting like a dick, and people will get pissed off and report you. It won’t be easy for the authorities to find you, but they might look...

My new UV-5R Radio is 5 watt and i need another similar one UV-82HP with 10 watt's - nearly the same price - is it BETTER to be getting it ? or a UV-S9 RJ

Very little if any real world distance gain with those so called 8 & 10 watt output claims. In fact the couple I have tested were lucky to be in the 6 watt ouput range. Lots of online vids show and confirm the same testing that I did on these cheaper handhelds. When opened up they seem to be pretty much UV-5R's in a different case.