Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: South Thompson Salmon

Re: South Thompson Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    I've never had a white out of the ocean, they are probably much better, out of the vedder they are oily, fishy and in my opinion good for nothing but the smoker, where as the reds and marbles can be bbq'd. I think there's more going on than just their ability to process caratene....
    I posted for some basic information. Whites definitely seem to get more slimy once they hit fresh water. Used to catch/release the big ones out of the Harrison years ago and they too seemed a little different. Kept a 43lb spring from Grassy bar one year and it was marbled all the way through. My preference for all salmon is smoked anyway and I’d take a halibut steak over them any day.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Re: South Thompson Salmon

I know that these salmon often enough are referred to as the "Harrison Whites"
    That was a good link.

As for taste, those out of Parksville (Ocean caught) tasted just fine.
    Haven't had the white out front of Fraser yet nor the marbled one (Ocean).

That link posted talks about how the chefs call them "melt in your mouth" (whites).
    Not sure if on the river they taste different as another has mentioned.
    I will be targeting Coho on the rivers, not Chinook if i can.

And yes, Hali is good (have half a 50lb at home right now in the freezer) and i cant really say if i like Hali or salmon better.
    BUT, i know one thing:
    I will take Pacific Cod all day long over either the salmon or hali!!!
    Next time those Cod snap up all my salmon bellies while out hali fishing, i will no longer be upset!
    Fishing partner agrees with that as well.
    If we could catch our limit on that, we wont care about the hali!