Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: South Thompson Salmon

Re: South Thompson Salmon

These springs travel 600 km + upriver to spawn. Amazing.

next year is the big sockeye run,,,,fingers crossed DFO will let us harvest a few here on the south thompson,,,,,,,,2014 when DFO had them opened,,,,,,,,i did just as good on the sockeye up here as i did anywhere else in BC,,,,,,had my daily limit in just over 1 hour
    Aim small,,miss small

Quite often, come mid/late August, many of the Chinook stacking and returning up the Fraser are Whites.
    That's what i have been told. (I think it was mentioned in the thread of mine with the chinook i recently caught).
    But as folks are saying, there are Reds still in the mix (and some are a marbled variety also)
    I don't really know how fast they can travel up rivers to say Kammy.
    (depends how long sea lice can live in freshwater before they fall of or die).
    But the Reds must be in the Fraser sooner and longer and do travel further depending where their natal grounds are.

Lets hope that 600+ million actually gets spent well.
    I worry that much will get pissed away in bureaucracy and the on going trend of geared towards FN issues related to salmon only.
    I hope they get this right for "everyone".
    Everyone deserves a healthy population for the future, otherwise this shit show will never stop.

And yes, next year is the Sockeye run.
    Not sure how that is going to pan out.
    Last time around, when it finally became open, the early on fishing was great and you could be done in a few hours easily.
    By the end, lots of folks sitting there all day hardly getting a single one.
    Even the folks on jet boats finding more solitary sand bars to hang out and fish from were having a hard time.
    By then, it really depended upon how many nets were set up down river.
    At times i heard it got pretty bad out there and made it a real challenge to catch much.
    Fingers crossed there is an opening.
    I will definitely be there if it does, and certainly during a weekday vs a weekend!!!!!!!

I’m not sure the difference but 6/10 of my fish were red and not white meat, none seemed to be marbled.
    all caught behind kamloops lake.

I am no Bio or deep into the salmon runs by a long shot.
    But i know that certainly the earlier runs up the Fraser (those that are stocks of concern) are Reds.
    And, just outside the mouth of the Fraser (ocean), it didn't open until Sept 1st for retention.
    So, I am guessing the salmon you are picking up are some that are of the earlier runs when it was still closed down here.
    I think around mid August is when the Whites start to show up at the Fraser Mouth.
    I fished Parksville not too long ago, also in August, and 2 of those were whites vs 1 red.
    I thought these might be French Cr salmon.
    Maybe they are or maybe the whites were still on their way down to the Fraser or even USA bound?
    I think also due to hatcheries, you have whites in some areas they weren't before???
    Again, someone else here might have much better insight on salmon.
    I didn't run into that Salmon DFO Bio out of Merritt this summer when i was fishing, but had i , i would certainly have picked
    his brain on more info on the local runs.

Definitely a lot to learn when it comes to salmon.
    My understanding that there is still a ton even the experts don't know, but that pertains more to when they hit the oceans.

im not 100% sure,,,but i was raised to think flesh colour was attributed to diet before going up-stream,,,,,,,,i was told,,,,white meat is cause fish where feeding on crustaceans,,,,,,and red meat fish where because of bait fish,,,,,,,,truth----false i dont know to this day,,,,but i generally average same amount of white meat as i do red meat
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    These springs travel 600 km + upriver to spawn. Amazing.
    They travel 3000km up the Yukon river from the Bering sea to the BC/Yukon border.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    next year is the big sockeye run,,,,fingers crossed DFO will let us harvest a few here on the south thompson,,,,,,,,2014 when DFO had them opened,,,,,,,,i did just as good on the sockeye up here as i did anywhere else in BC,,,,,,had my daily limit in just over 1 hour
    The peak South Thompson sockeye run has been in serious decline.
    In 2010, there was an enormous run. Walk the beach of Little Shuswap, it was littered in wall to wall carcasses, not to forget the stench of expired fish. There were so many that even the eagles and crows stopped noshing on them.
    In 2014, there was a significant decline in the run. I would estimate that it was the size of the 2010 run.
    And then there was the 2018 run. If it appeared that the run could get worse, well, it did. Not nearly the size of 2014. It looked like any off year.
    What to expect in the 2022? I would not be holding my breath. The fry run to the ocean in the spring of 2020 was not that spectacular so I am not expecting a large return.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    I've never had a white out of the ocean, they are probably much better, out of the vedder they are oily, fishy and in my opinion good for nothing but the smoker, where as the reds and marbles can be bbq'd. I think there's more going on than just their ability to process caratene....
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA