Thread: Hunting seasons upon us.

Hunting seasons upon us.

What is everyone’s hunting plans this fall with their pups?

I plan on getting Thistle out on as many Grouse as the possible. This is her first hunting season. So letting the wild birds train her.

My husband is a mountain biker and has seen lots of grouse on the trails and we’ve seen some getting firewood so I’m taking that as a good sign since we’ve been in a drought.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting seasons upon us.

Well I don't have a dog but I was thinking it would have been a good spring for grouse chicks .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by HMR View Post
    What is everyone’s hunting plans this fall with their pups?

I plan on getting Thistle out on as many Grouse as the possible. This is her first hunting season. So letting the wild birds train her.

My husband is a mountain biker and has seen lots of grouse on the trails and we’ve seen some getting firewood so I’m taking that as a good sign since we’ve been in a drought.
    I always get out for some grouse the the first couple of weeks after they open on the 10th up by my cabin. Gives me the opportunity to scout the area for mulie bucks to give me an idea where I want to be on Oct. 1st when they open. The problem with my area when it comes to grouse is that you usually only see them on the roads because the old growth forest and bush is often very thick.

When I see them if I let the dog out she's going to "sight point" which I do not want to encourage. What I usually have to do instead of just taking the easy shot is drive past them slowly pushing them off the edge of the road, let the dog out, and work my way back. The only problem is if the wind isn't in our favour. The scent cone is very short on the windward side so sometimes she'll get too close and bump them and once they fly off through the thick timber getting a shot off is difficult.

Just getting out of the truck, shooting them, and then letting the dog out to retrieve works every time BUT it doesn't allow the dog to hunt the birds so I haven't done that since she was about 7 months old. For me it's all about watching the dog hunt. We tend to get less birds than just popping them off the road since I tend to move the birds off the road with the vehicle but the nice thing is my griff never loses a bird once they've been shot, even if they've dropped way down into a ravine or fallen onto water,,,,birds you'd NEVER get if you were hunting without a dog.

Hoping to get out a couple of times during that first opening (8 day season) of geese in September.
    Last edited by mastercaster; 08-18-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Sheep hunt next week!!

It's shaping up to be the shitties season ever.
    The few spots that have been unaffected by fire will probably be a zoo.
    I might just skip the whole season.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    It's shaping up to be the shitties season ever.
    The few spots that have been unaffected by fire will probably be a zoo.
    I might just skip the whole season.
    thankfully if everyone thinks like you, the mountains will be less crowded than ever !

Sept archery elk hunt Aug 28-Sept 10. Whitetail Oct 20ish for doe season. Nov 5-8 blacktail deer. Can't wait for October duck season, maybe get some geese early Sept too. Then on to Dec bow season if I haven't tag all 3 deer by then. On to predators: bobcat, lynx & cougar for the winter. Ducks and geese until the seasons close. Hoping to get out for a Brant hunt sometime in early March...fingers crossed. Then bear season in May and the cycle continues...