Thread: Just Thought I'd Say "Hey!"

Talking Just Thought I'd Say "Hey!"

Hey all,

Just though I would introduce myself here, as well as ask a couple questions.

I've been shooting for about 9-10 years now, although most of that was just shooting to shoot at the range. However, I did start to focus on improving my accuracy, efficiency, and overall marksmanship over the last while I was going to the range. However, due to covid, I stayed away from the range, and I took up fishing instead! I've tried several times throughout my life to learn, but this time I had lots more time on my hands and I had all the more reason to try it solo. No pun intended, but I was hooked! Especially my first salmon, that was just an insane moment for me! However, actually taking something else's life was a whole other experience in and of itself. I felt bad at first, but then I kind of just felt like... respectful? Thankful? Very odd feeling that I have no idea how to describe, but I get it every time I catch a keeper haha.

Anyways, I thought I would want to take a crack at hunting. I know someone that hinted at wanting to maybe go duck hunting? At this point I think that might just be a good first step, as I don't know if I could pull the trigger on bambi at this point haha (although if I CAN pull the trigger, elk would be kind of like my endgame for hunting). Any suggestions on what basic gear I would need to start out? I don't think I would need decoys and stuff like that, but maybe a good beginner call (I heard the "Buck Gardner Double Nasty II" is decent?), some sort of versatile camo (one with a removeable liner maybe?), and I have no idea what else. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Used stuff is completely fine too!

Also, I'm selling a couple, or a few of my firearms so I can get "more practical" firearms in their stead. I'm keeping my 30-06, but what shotgun would you guys suggest for small game/waterfowl? I think budget would be MAYBE $1,000 all in. Would prefer to keep it under that, so I could get some upgrades or some other gear if needed.

Thanks for reading my novel! I look forward to learning a lot here.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Just Thought I'd Say "Hey!"

Where you fighting out of?

Some duck hunting spots you can get away with just gum boots, non reflective clothes and a shotgun.

Re: Just Thought I'd Say "Hey!"

I'm from Abbotsford, but I have no idea where the actual hunting would take place unfortunately.