Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When plan A and B burn, what’s plan C?

When plan A and B burn, what’s plan C?

Well it’s that time of year again!
    but this year, being overly prepared comes with punishment !

My hunting partner and myself have booked off September back in the spring to chase elk for the first time after seeing a nice bachelor herd of bulls in our “backyard” all sporting some nice head gear with lots of time to grow! We had planned to hunt that area and at least get boots on the ground and start piecing together any sign and trying to get even a basic understanding of the local elk…

We even thought we were being smart and had a backup plan another hour further, with some intel and trail cam footage generously shared by a member here.. we had two potential areas to focus and some legal bulls in each…

fast forward to august, and as Lady Luck would have it.. both spots are burning, both will likely be closed to hunting for the season and I’m sure those elk have vacated the premise!

So now we are taking a completely new approach.. going to put a map on the wall and throw a dart at it…

but in all seriousness, even our local white tail spot is toasted in yet another fire, our hand is forced to travel to hunt this year so we have no attachment to either, but I feel like we have two options…

We can either go north to the Tumbler ridge area, and if I’m reading the regulations right during the time we could be there we would have the chance at, 3point or better elk, cow elk?? Any bull moose that’s 2pt tri palm or 10pt as well as 4Ptt mulie, any white tail buck and black bear…

OR

In the general area of Salmo, chasing 6pt elk, 4pt mulie WT bucks and bears..

We are both hunting with .308, each have a quad, all the camping nessesities inc inreach.

If you guys were in our shoes, what would you suggest? Looking at pretty much any and all options to salvage our hunt plans and best utilize our holidays to fill our freezers after a lack lustre spring bear hunt ! For us anyways.

I will note that we have absolutely no idea where to even begin in either area so that’s a wash, we will just put boots on the ground and put to use everything we have learned in the last couple years of hunting.. just general suggestions, warnings or tips would be appreciated! We have no problem working hard for our meat.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 08-17-2021 at 07:24 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: When plan A and B burn, what’s plan C?

Just my two cents but if you have the time booked off, it looks to me like Tumbler Ridge area has more opportunities to harvest. I’ve always wanted to get up to that area and explore too.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    Just my two cents but if you have the time booked off, it looks to me like Tumbler Ridge area has more opportunities to harvest. I’ve always wanted to get up to that area and explore too.

fair point, it does seem like the obvious choice.. but you know what they say, when something seems to good to be true.. it likely is.. I feel like I have to be overlooking something besides the distance, remoteness, grizzlies and likely bad weather.

I was working in TR 20 years ago and there was game everywhere. Elk, moose, WT, MD, BB, GB and even caribou. It's likely not as good as it use to be, but I was impressed with the diversity and numbers.

TR is muley bucks bow only for the month of Sept. Then closed until 4 pts min in Nov.
    3 pt elk min in the ag zone only so you'll need to head north of TR a ways. Same area with antlerless elk starting Sept 15.
    Just a bit of help for ya...

The west kootenay elk season was shortened by 2 weeks, the whitetail does have been closed, and muley bucks are 4 point all year. These changes have all been made for a reason.

One of my main spots burned too, as I’m sure did a ton of people’s. I have two trips planned to spots that are not fire affected at this point, but that could change obviously. I was very close to buying 3 different properties this spring, and 2 are likely burned, and the other is close. I’m glad the process broke down. It’s a crazy year.

Of your two choices, I’d probably go north, but so would 90% of other people, so it might be busy as...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by canucks6 View Post
    The west kootenay elk season was shortened by 2 weeks, the whitetail does have been closed, and muley bucks are 4 point all year. These changes have all been made for a reason.
    Still wondering about that change. Shortening an elk season already controlled by a 6 point restriction
    Maybe a problem with keeping cows alive?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I have a feeling lots of hunters are being pushed to drift this year, best to learn how to use traffic to an advantage
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    I have a feeling lots of hunters are being pushed to drift this year, best to learn how to use traffic to an advantage
    That’s one issue we don’t have, the area we often hunt is highly pressured, we will sometimes see and hear dozens of vehicles in a day, thankfully as you said we have learned how the deer act when they are heavily pressured and use this to our advantage.

there is no doubt that there will be a lot of people travelling everywhere but at the same time considering the circumstances I wouldn’t be surprised if a good number of people couldn’t get time off work or couldn’t afford to take a trip so far this year.. maybe hunt some of those animals the guide outfitters are leaving us

also something’s telling me the east Kootenay would be better than the west if that’s the way we decided to go. Hmm