Thread: Decoy advice needed

Decoy advice needed

Hello waterfowl experts.
    I’m hoping to do some waterfowl hunting this fall in the Prince George area and just curious what would be considered a minimum decoy set-up?
    I have a Nucanoe and was thinking of finding some decent waterways to paddle and try.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Trever

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Decoy advice needed

I’m not sure what the waterfowl hunting is like in Prince George, but up in Dawson Creek we have done pretty well with as few as 12 duck and 6 goose decoys. But generally speaking more seem to work better. Best of luck!

Ryan
    I'm so much cooler Online.

Quote Originally Posted by kloosterboer View Post
    I’m not sure what the waterfowl hunting is like in Prince George, but up in Dawson Creek we have done pretty well with as few as 12 duck and 6 goose decoys. But generally speaking more seem to work better. Best of luck!

Ryan
    Thanks for the reply Ryan,
    Do you hunt water and fields with that number of decoys?

Best advice I can give you is to get a good call and learn to use it. When I was seriously hunting waterfowl and didn't want to put out my set of 50 decoys, I would take 2 or 3 with me, find a good location, set the decoys and call. it was a very effective way to hunt. I have shot many birds just using my call with no decoys. You just need to get them in close enough for a good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    Thanks for the reply Ryan,
    Do you hunt water and fields with that number of decoys?

That’s hunting on the water. I should mention that if you find a good spot you can be successful just pass shooting as the birds fly by with no decoys at all. But if you’re going to do that only shoot one bird at a time and go find it especially if you’re somewhere marshy with reeds and willows not on open water. They can be very difficult to find if you don’t go straight to them.

Ryan
    I'm so much cooler Online.

Ok great. Thanks for the info guys.

Lived in PG for many years. Talk to the farmers, scout, get permission. Lots of good goose areas if you look, Eaglet Lake was good for ducks as well as many of the small potholes and ponds around the country. Geese are used to seeing A LOT of deeks from the V-Hoof outfitters we used 3-4 doz, fullbodies complemented by shells and sills. Ducks, depending on the size of water anywhere from 2 to 4 doz.
    Hope this helps
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.