Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gillnet opening on Tyee Pool

Re: Gillnet opening on Tyee Pool

Such ads need to be flagged when found. If enough people flag them, they'll be taken down. Help put a stop this crap.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Chinooks make it their whole life dodging the gauntlet of things that want to kill and eat them. They finally arrive at the mouth of the Campbell and mill around for a bit waiting to head up and spawn.

So, I guess the question is what is the worse of two evils? Let the rowers hit them hard for a couple months picking them off one by one or let the Indians string out a gill net and catch everything that’s holding in there all at once. If there is a conservation issue, which numbers returning to the Campbell would suggest, shouldn’t it be shut down to fishing for anyone?

I don’t have any skin in the game anymore but I did row for a time and I’ve bonked my share of big Springs in the pool. The argument could be made for the rowers because they could support catch and release but in reality very few of the rowers actually do. Just a few years back (2013) one of the premier rowers and conservationists in the club bonked a Tyee over 61lbs, the biggest that had been registered for over 30 years at that time. Those genetics were thought to be gone and maybe now they are.
    You do know that the Tyee club might kill up to 20 tyee per season on a good year. Fish per hour put in is very low. It has been discussed with fisheries many times and they consider the tyee pool catch insignificant. But yeah about that rare big one.

The natives do harvest some fish at the last big tidal pool up the river. How in the heck would you gill net the Tyee Pool anyways? Seine maybe? Perhaps they should harvest these surplus hatchery fish there. What does the hatchery need. The rest, as it is now are pretty much just fertilizer.
    Last edited by steel_ram; 08-22-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    You do know that the Tyee club might kill up to 20 tyee per season on a good year. Fish per hour put in is very low. It has been discussed with fisheries many times and they consider the tyee pool catch insignificant.
    I follow the catch records every year so I’m well aware of how many are caught by rowers. 6 out of the last 7 years there were less than 20 Tyee registered per year. 2017 was a bit of a anomaly with 44 Tyee registered. That is a bit of my point. In the past there were over a 100 registered each year and returns to the river were much higher. It’s not like that brood stock with great genetics is making it through and just not being caught by the rowers anymore. The Campbell just doesn’t have a lot of big fish returning to it. So why allow one group to target them if there is a conservation concern? Oh, and I’m not making an argument for the Natives to be in there either because having a Gillnetter float through the pool could have a real negative consequence for the run.

Something also to consider. While the rowers may register less than 20 Tyee a year, they boat and kill dozens more Chinook that are undersized and while being legal they just don’t make that magical 30 pound number. Add those fish in and the numbers become significant.
    Last edited by fuzzybiscuit; 08-22-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Even if there was 10 undersize for every tyee, the numbers the Tyee Club take are insignificant. More fish are killed in the same area by other means, no doubt. If it's at all a conservation concern, the Tyee Club would stop fishing, as should everyone. Concerned Executive members have in the past approached local DFO and asked if there was a conservation with their activity and the answer was no.

That 61 was a bit of a freak. I don't know how many fish that size actually enter the river, fisheries probably has a good idea. Maybe it was a stray from Rivers Inlet? I'd like to think not. As it is, chinooks spawning naturally in the system are not doing very well, the water is too warm leading to premature hatching of the eggs and poor survival. The possible solution, as being regulated in USA dammed rivers is to draw water from the bottom of the lake.

Unfortunately, most, if not all the C.R. chinook are hatchery.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    Such ads need to be flagged when found. If enough people flag them, they'll be taken down. Help put a stop this crap.
    Done........................

Dannybouy and Fuzzy Thanks for your explanation !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Seen there were a bunch of Dolphins around Campbell River the other day from the news.
    Hopefully they got the salmon before the FN or bumped the salmon into the river before the nets get them!

Hmm some exellent information here.none of which I had any idea..thank you.
    Srupp

Low impact fishery … yes.

but to the public eye the club focuses on the wrong thing. We need to get away from the idea of killing big fish.

the club house is in ear shot of all the rowing. A live release mechanism needs to be developed to bring the club into the 21st century. Public scrutiny shames killing the big fish. I know there are arguments for killing, or not.

I’ve fished the pool a few times, had one hit, no landings. Seen a few landed. Looks like a blast. Catch per boat is LOW, even on a good year. It’s really a cool fishery that brings a lot of people out to row, and a lot of people to socialize and watch from the beach. Hearing the bell while rowing means someone else got more lucky than you that night or morning.

as above, a live release mechanism needs to be adopted IMO. Have an air horn on ur row boat. Hook a fish, land it, hold it in the net. If you think it’s a tyee… blast ur horn and have a chase boat come out from club house, weigh fish, and release. I know that doesn’t follow the history of the club, but it would be more appealing to those opposing the killing of large fish.

I swam the river last week… lots of 30+ lb fish in there. At the end of the day, I don’t think the removal of a few tyees is going to change anything, especially when you are looking at 7-10k returns in recent years.

just my thoughts.

The Tyee Club was considering (or does) have a pin for released fish. There is some catch and release going on, but many of the people on the rod are newbies, non-members. To become a member of the club, a 30lb fish or greater has to be officially weighed in.

No sports fishing along the Campbell River water front are doing any damage to the CR salmon population. Most of these returning Chinook and Pinks are destined to become fertilizer.

I do get the point about preserving those rare big fish (50+). Don't know how we could control that. I really hate those max, size slot limits.