Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gillnet opening on Tyee Pool

Re: Gillnet opening on Tyee Pool

I think since the Chinook Spring time run up the Fraser became listed as "Stocks of Concern", which is partly why so much of
    the Southern Coast Area has been shut down or limited for Spring Retention, on top of the whole Killer Whale fiasco,
    the FN have had no less than "10 Openings on the Fraser with Nets" for this specific run of Chinook.

So tell me again, who is actually concerned?

Again, not going to blame the FN for the situation that arose.
    But i sure can say they are making it worse now!

Actually its closer to 60 FN openings for endangered Chinook on the Fraser....but whos counting lol

The going rate in Agassiz last year was $16 a fish. Delivered to your door.
    No I don't buy fish from FN. Moose was $5 a lb.
    Whitey is buying so FN is selling.
    CO can't do anything because it gets thrown out of court. Might stick on the white guy but it gets delivered and walked right into their garage out of sight. It actually was listed for a while on Craigslist and KIJIJI.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Chinooks make it their whole life dodging the gauntlet of things that want to kill and eat them. They finally arrive at the mouth of the Campbell and mill around for a bit waiting to head up and spawn.

So, I guess the question is what is the worse of two evils? Let the rowers hit them hard for a couple months picking them off one by one or let the Indians string out a gill net and catch everything that’s holding in there all at once. If there is a conservation issue, which numbers returning to the Campbell would suggest, shouldn’t it be shut down to fishing for anyone?

I don’t have any skin in the game anymore but I did row for a time and I’ve bonked my share of big Springs in the pool. The argument could be made for the rowers because they could support catch and release but in reality very few of the rowers actually do. Just a few years back (2013) one of the premier rowers and conservationists in the club bonked a Tyee over 61lbs, the biggest that had been registered for over 30 years at that time. Those genetics were thought to be gone and maybe now they are.

Please enlighten me . What is a rower ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Arctic Lake
    Pretty sure it refers to a row boat ... non -motorized

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Arctic Lake
    Rowers would be those who choose to fish the Tyee Pool in a row boat and under rules specified by the Tyee Cub of BC. Rowers are primarily the only ones who fish the Motor restricted Tyee Pool. You could drift through jigging but the rowers would make you feel pretty uncomfortable.

Tyee Club history:
    https://www.tyeeclub.org/about-us/history/

Tyee Club Rules:
    https://www.tyeeclub.org/regulations/

The Tyee Cub and the history associated with it is the only reason the pool wasn’t closed to all fishing years ago. Lots of influential people are members in the club.

If my understanding is right, there basically is no opening for the commercial fisherman on the inside of the island anymore..
    Correct??
    So they have certainly lost out, and we know as sport fisherman that we have lost out with so many closures and retractions.
    I always thought that when a species becomes this threatened, that everyone has to stop.

The big frustration for the Sports folks is, many of the chinook caught aren't stocks of concern, less than 1% in many places
    on the inside of the island, yet we are regulated like they are all 100% the stocks of concern.

I know the FN have one issue that they want in their favor.
    A legitimate Commercial fishery for them to profit on.
    There could be a way to find a compromise for everyone, imo.

Have a combined commercial opening.
    The mouth of many rivers does offer a "unique opportunity".
    It basically funnels all the salmon up their home rivers.
    With todays technology, why don't we remove the gill nets and implement high tech paddle wheels?
    Basically silicone scoops, using the flow of the river to provide electricity, to run water pumps for the troughs and lights.
    Big huge ones.
    And have a combined catch for fn and commercial shoulder to shoulder, working together.
    Get rid of all nets for salmon everywhere.

The benefits of these wheels is someone can see if it is a steelhead or whatever, or not a targeted species and throw it back in the
    water without harm, meanwhile catching the actual targeted species.
    Besides, account for what is caught could be counted for every fish, to the one!
    Decide what % is commercial and which percentage is FN.
    From their the FN can distribute their catch to all the bands up the river that would normally throw nets across.
    And all these bands can decide what % is left to be sold commercially.

The old days and old ways for both FN and Commercial are gone!!
    Both have to accept it.
    But i think this system is much more ethical, fair, and safer for future salmon stocks and other species like steelhead, imo.

Now, could you only imagine Ironoggin and chief Phillips working side by side on one of these wheels!!
    They should be okay, as long as one of them doesnt start o "f the dog" while on the job

Race-based hierarchy constitutes war.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..