Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gillnet opening on Tyee Pool

Gillnet opening on Tyee Pool

I was checking out the salmon openings and came across this one that has me shaking my head.
    For the most part i don't have a major issue with FN openings as long as all get a fair shake, but this one where the Tyee pool in C.R. is going to be opened up for motorized gill netting is absurd. Its a Transport Canada Rule however DFO is opening it for FN food and ceremonial purposes - WTF? In my mind they should gillnet with paddle power and i'd be OK with that but not a prop powered commercial gillnetter......then to boot they remind us that motorized boats aren't allowed in the Tyee Pool!!!

Seems the group that squeaks the most gets the grease.

Fishery Notice

Category(s):
    RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject:
    FN0788-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook - Area 13 - Tyee Pool and remaining portions of Subarea 13-5 - Information and Reminder

This notice is to inform recreational fishers that Food, Social, and Ceremonial (FSC) harvest of Chinook may occur in Subarea 13-5, including waters known as the Tyee Pool. The FSC harvest will utilize gill nets between the hours of 10:00 PM and 4:00 AM. Recreational fishers are advised to avoid the area during these times (effective immediately until 23:59 hours September 30) and that any gear conflicts may result in restrictions to recreational fisheries while FSC harvest is occurring.

FSC harvest activity (via permit issued by the First Nations and communicated to DFO) may also include the use of power boats during the day time in the Tyee Pool and all users of the Tyee Pool are urged to use caution and be considerate of each other while fishing. FSC harvesters are requested to fish with minimal vessel wake for the safety of rowers and other human powered boats. Any safety issues or conflicts during the fishery will result in action being taken to mitigate the issues.

Recreational fishers are reminded that the use of motors is prohibited in the Tyee Pool under Transport Canada regulations however access under FSC permit is exempt from this regulation.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gillnet opening on Tyee Pool

how can they ever think that was a good idea

Wondering when we, the non entitled sports folks wake up and create some civil disobedience thru protest, like trashing those nets on
    the Fraser etc in order to get heard and clean this whole bs up. Right now, the moaning and groaning isn’t cutting it and doubt it ever will.
    time to pull some stuff out of the FN playbook that they have used in the past.
    Not going to change and only going to get worse.
    Wake up one day and it will all be shut down for non FN.
    Half way there already.

More votes for Trudeau!!!! WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Wondering when we, the non entitled sports folks wake up and create some civil disobedience thru protest, like trashing those nets on
    the Fraser etc in order to get heard and clean this whole bs up. Right now, the moaning and groaning isn’t cutting it and doubt it ever will.
    time to pull some stuff out of the FN playbook that they have used in the past.
    Not going to change and only going to get worse.
    Wake up one day and it will all be shut down for non FN.
    Half way there already.
    Do what we've always done (nothing) get what we've always got.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaScene View Post
    Do what we've always done (nothing) get what we've always got.
    Yup, fully agree.
    The old ways are gone.
    The new folks in government on all jurisdictions really arent listening anymore (a few do, but not in power to do squat).

I know at Pacific Anglers i have talked to Jason on a lot of these issues and what is destroying the future for all of us.
    He is frustrated beyond belief as many are.
    He says they are looking into "legal options" and getting big spenders to join the fight.
    Honestly, i told him i think its not going to help.

Hate to say this, as it should be cool heads and logical thinking that provides solutions for all sides, but this might require a
    good old fashion fist fight bar brawl, and yes, some are going to get hurt.
    (scary part is then some clown brings a knife and the next idiot uses a gun)

If you look at the recommendations that were put forth for clipping salmon that are hatchery and going to marked selective
    fishery and having the DFO Bio's in support, it would seem logical.
    But its not, and government is not listening.
    Tell me than, what else is left to do??

Pisses me off to always be told they need traditional food for ceremonial purposes or have to have areas to pick their traditional berries etc. BS they all shop at Wal-Mart & Real Canadian like the rest of us.

Please tell me when FN. traditionally gill netted the Tyee pool never mind with combustion engines which by the wat I’m reminded daily that there causing the end of humankind.
    Total insanity.

You do realize the implications for hunting, dont you ? I can see a time in the near future where elk will be only for FN. Moose ?? Already started. This is going to get a LOT worse. Massive area closures in the name of Reconciliation. Thank god that as a young guy, I was able to hunt and fish in most of the wild areas of our province. Going-- going.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Hate to say this, as it should be cool heads and logical thinking that provides solutions for all sides, but this might require a
    good old fashion fist fight bar brawl, and yes, some are going to get hurt.
    (scary part is then some clown brings a knife and the next idiot uses a gun)
    This is no joke Bugle, I agree. There will be blood, or fire

I believe there are more (non FN) folks willing to draw down on this than Adriaticum thinks there is.

Tough spot when our own Gov't has been ignoring logic for the past 30+years
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm