Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoker recommendation?

Smoker recommendation?

I’m sure this has been discussed to death, but I would like to buy a smoker and am looking for recommendations. I’m looking for something that I can set and forget.

Not sure about going with something like a Traeger vs Bradley, and I know there is a huge difference in price (plus I already have a nice BBQ).

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smoker recommendation?

I've used a Bradly for years, only wish it was a 6 tray and digital! Buy right buy once
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I just bought a vertical pit boss pellet smoker this year, from Canadian tire, on sale. Price was right, and super easy to use. The pellets are forgiving and you can use pretty well any pellet in it. (Some smokers can use only their brand of pellets). It holds the temperature very well (+ or - 10,15°). I opted for the vertical as I have a propane BBQ right beside it I will finish my steaks (sear) off on after smoking. I work with a guy that has the pitboss grill style and he loves his as well. He'll take off all day on his boat and not touch the smoker and come back after 10 hours no problem. I am not quite that brave, but I'll leave for a few hours (shopping, dog walk) and there's no issues.
    As per another forum members recommendation was to purchase "ink bird" (or any other brand) of instant read thermometer and a wireless one. I am happy I did this as it makes monitoring the Temps alot easier
    I do believe pellets are typically cheaper than the bradley pucks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    I have one of the original Bradleys bought back in 1997 and it is still going strong, if I babysit it, which I don't mind. But it sucks in the cold, even with the insulated home built cover for it. I have heard of issues with the digital in that it cannot hold the temps, the LCD stops working and that the puck mover doesn't work with the digital box.

I also have a Pitboss smoker/BBQ and it works OK, but not for fish/cheese/pepperoni and summer sausage etc. Too hard to control the heat evenly across the whole rack; lots of heat along the sides and back and over the burn pit, less in other areas.

My next smoker will either be a home build or a vertical propane smoker so I can smoke at hunting camp. Lots of options out there to research and review.

No matter what you get, pick up these.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Inkbird-Thermo...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Good luck in your search

Cheers

SS

Enjoy
    Last edited by tyler-brown; 08-11-2021 at 06:09 AM.

I love my Bradley digital smoker, great for smoking and cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I've used a Bradly for years, only wish it was a 6 tray and digital! Buy right buy once
    I did the same thing, 4 racks, dial temp.
    Digital only, and 6 racks if I have to replace it.

You can double the capacity of your Bradley by buying a second set of racks and using 1 set as baskets and the second set as hats over the first. I have a Bradley that I purchased somewhere around 25 years ago. The door has finally rusted out but it still works.

Oh good no-one is suggesting the crappy small aluminum jobs. They don't work period.
    Don't over smoke anything, 3 or 4 pans is enough smoke and the rest is making it yuk. It depends on the instructions of the smoker.
    I am mainly talking fish. I used to do 22 coho fillets at a time. 2 would be gone before we got them in the house.
    I'm still learning after 16 years of smoking.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I have determined that it all depends on what you are smoking.

I have a 23 year old Bradley that is still going strong. It is used to do fish, smokies and pepperoni as it goes down to 100 deg. It does need some oversight sometimes as the puck feed sometimes sticks, but not an issue all the time.

I picked up a Pit Boss a few years ago and love it for the big stuff: Brisket, turkeys, chickens, ribs etc. It doesn't do fish well as it cannot get down to the low temps needed for fish. But for most everything else, the pellet smoker works well

I also have a Broil King for steaks, burgers, cooking fish and other meats when you need a sear as the pellet smoker is not that great for searing.

Combine all three and throw in the Camp Chef for instant water boil for corn, crab, prawns etc. or deep frying a turkey and I am set. Pick up an instant read thermometer, I have the Inkbird, and a 3 or 4 probe thermometer with Bluetooth for monitoring your cooking. I have the Inkbird for that as well.

What ever you chose, learn to use it. Lots of videos and How to's on line to maximize what you get.

Cheers

SS
    Last edited by Sitkaspruce; 08-11-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I am 100% a Traeger guy. Brisket, pulled pork, whole turkey, bacon... the compliment to effort ratio is insane. It does fish too, but that is so easy it isn't worth mentioning.

Buy one at Costco when they sell them and you will never look back.

My son did some steaks a few weeks ago-- 45 minutes on smoke in the Traeger to get them warm with a bit of flavor then finished in a hot cast iron pan for a reverse-sear, spectacular!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Thanks guys, great info here.

What about the question of electric vs propane for a smoker?? I like the idea of electric for tighter temperature regulation with some of the better models, but curious about longer term reliability. Seems like more things to go wrong?