Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose Draw 7-18

Moose Draw 7-18

So... my pre-season scouting trip turned into a camping trip no where near my draw area. Managed to finally get drawn for an LEH. Shared moose in 7-18. I have done tons of internet scouring in lieu of boots on the ground for this area. I have a pretty good idea of how I would like to approach hunting the area already. I am mainly curious about areas to set up camp. The only rec site in close proximity is the Macgregor River rec site, which is great, but it lists like 2-4 spots. So the likelihood of there being room for us when we show up is slim.
    Any and all information on the area will be greatly appreciated. Although we have a moose authorization for the area it seems like basically every game animal is GOS at that time. Looking through harvest statistics makes it seem like moose are pretty much the only ungulate being hauled put of the bush in that MU, but we all know those forms are only as accurate as the people filling them out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Draw 7-18

There are 2 main access roads into 7-18. Sounds like you are choosing the pass lake road. You are right about a lack of decent camping. The rec site you mentioned is small for sure. Just before that site is a gravel pit that hunters use each year thats decent. And a few km before the macgregor is pass lake which has a nice site right on the lake. The macgregor runs dirty so bring drinking water or a filter system.

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything deeper in the zone? Like along Herrick? I hadn't given as much thought to accessing the area from the other side. It just didn't look as "moosy" to me. Having said that the area is obviously open for almost everything, I will have a pocket full of tags and s little north of 2 weeks to make something happen. Is it worth investing time to pursue mule deer, elk or goats in this area?

Lots of Grizzlies in there

Are there lots of moose too?

There’s a old cabin off the herrick , slept in it once. I would stay there with a tent. It’s super thick back there, not much logging (havnt been in 2 years). I could see it being productive if you had 2 vehicles and a canoe. Elk in pockets too. And big Fn grizzly bears. I would focus near the rivers in that country

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by PAhunter View Post
    Are there lots of moose too?
    If you do not kill 2 moose in 7-18 during the rut, you are a pi$$ poor hunter!! Just sayin, this is a slam dunk hunt if you put in the time!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Thanks for the encouragement moosin! I always strive to be viewed as just a poor hunter just one level above! 3 of us got the draw but one fella took too much time off earlier in the year, so just 2 of us going. I'm not sure what that means as far as allowable harvest now? The regs don't seem to address is it in any way either. In any fashion 1 moose splits between 2 guys fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by PAhunter View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement moosin! I always strive to be viewed as just a poor hunter just one level above! 3 of us got the draw but one fella took too much time off earlier in the year, so just 2 of us going. I'm not sure what that means as far as allowable harvest now? The regs don't seem to address is it in any way either. In any fashion 1 moose splits between 2 guys fairly well.
    If three guys put in for a shared hunt and you won, you received an LEH for two bull moose. If one guy chooses to not come, that means you have 2 LEH tags for 2 hunters. Thats how it works. In another scenario, you could have three hunters hunting for a LEH bull. If there is an general Open season at the same time say for Immature moose, one of the guys could take a immature moose (not put his name on the LEH tag) under the GOS and the other two guys could shoot two bulls under the LEH tags. So in theory coming home with three moose.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I have been into the Pass lake side across the McGregor. ATV only passing across that bridge. The trail was washed out in a few spots higher up along the river, but passable. It was raining hard the day I went, and all water crossings were up higher on the way down, so be aware.
    It is grown in big time, but you can get in there and lots of moose sign.
    Goodson rd access is mainly for the hike into the Kakwa park. No real logging in the area leading upto it on the Bastille watershed. I hear there are lots of moose sign on that road in tho, so it might help to just walk in, set up on a stretch of road and call. I have not been down this road, but know someone that was just up there in Kakwa park hiking. Lots of porcupine in the Bastille watershed that are known to eat the rubber tires, so be aware. Guys use a chicken mesh around their vehicles, from what I hear.

Good luck.