Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginners Luck in 5-01?

Re: Beginners Luck in 5-01?

I was looking into places in 100 Mile, I will be sure to reach out to 99 Grocery.

Appreciate the info and glad to hear you were successful last season!

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    99 Mile grocery in 100 Mile House, has a cooler that I used last year for my moose. Only to 4:30 Pm tho, or if a butcher is around. They are set up to hang the meat from the side/back entry and load right off your truck. I think it was $25 a day is what I paid. It was very hot last year early Oct.

Sorry not much help for info on the area, as I did not hunt 5-01.

We have had lots of fires this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if has gotten them moving around more than usual. I dont have any secret moose spots and in fact apply for areas away from here, but they are around. Had a pretty decent bear in the yard on the weekend and there always seems to be a few of them around so you might have luck with them too.

We have a shared hunt in 5-1 from October 15 to the 30th. Let me know how you made out. Thanks.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice/tips and info. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of comments and PM's I received from all you fine folks!

We will hunt hard and be sure to post pictures in the event we are successful.

We hunted hard for 12 days straight putting miles on the boots and quad and were not successful in harvesting a moose. Hunted mostly around the Deka/Needa/Bowers.

Weather was very warm (up tp 18 degrees a couple days), with a light dusting of snow on our last day of the hunt (Oct 11th). We spoke to other groups in the area who also had no luck calling in any bulls. A great grandmother dropped a bull that was crossing the road! The moose are there, lots of fresh sign and tracks however it seemed as though the rut may have not fully started yet?

Roughly 6 cows seen over the trip, one bear harvested and tons of grouse. Saw a handful of whitetail and only one mule doe. All in all, we learned lots and still had a great time out in the woods.

Hope to hear some success stories from others who had the draw later in the season.

Thanks again for all the advice!
    Last edited by Murphyv; 10-19-2021 at 03:33 PM.

glad to hear you got a bear to go with some chickens...a moose would have been nice though....sounds like a great trip all round though

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyv View Post
    We hunted hard for 12 days straight putting miles on the boots and quad and were not successful in harvesting a moose. Hunted mostly around the Deka/Needa/Bowers.

Weather was very warm (up tp 18 degrees a couple days), with a light dusting of snow on our last day of the hunt (Oct 11th). We spoke to other groups in the area who also had no luck calling in any bulls. A great grandmother dropped a bull that was crossing the road! The moose are there, lots of fresh sign and tracks however it seemed as though the rut may have not fully started yet?

Roughly 6 cows seen over the trip, one bear harvested and tons of grouse. Saw a handful of whitetail and only one mule doe. All in all, we learned lots and still had a great time out in the woods.

Hope to hear some success stories from others who had the draw later in the season.

Thanks again for all the advice!
    Too bad you didn't get your moose but I am happy you saw some success with finding critters. I am sure the fires up there this year didn't help a ton either. Hopefully the tips I gave didn't lead you down the wrong path lol

I saw 2 dead moose while there (first week of October). One was shot, ran into a marsh and was being recovered. It was only a couple of km to the road where the trucks were. At least they had an ATV. The second was shot and abandoned. It was a 2-point and also ran into a marsh. I followed the ravens so it had been a few days already. I couldn't see it from the trail and had to do a little bushwhacking.

The weather was great -- around zero at night, 10-12C during the day and almost no rain.

Not your fault not getting a moose in that area. Heavey rut started on the 14th through till the 18th. Little late for some reason.