Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginners Luck in 5-01?

Beginners Luck in 5-01?

Hi everyone, I have been a (silent) member 4 years now and have always enjoyed and appreciated the loads of information on the site. I did not grow up hunting and picked it up as a young adult a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. My grandfather passed along his well used Belgium Browning 30.06 however he was far too old to offer any guidance. Without a mentor I am glad there are folks on HBC who provide some form of guidance and advice to the newbies like myself.

I do not have any hunting secrets or tips to offer anyone being new to this however I am happy to pass along some fishing tips/guidance/advice/"honey holes" to those who may be looking to fish for salmon in the Capilano river or along the West Vancouver beach shore. What goes around comes around?

We were lucky enough to draw a shared Moose hunt in region 5-01, October 1-15th. As this is unfamiliar territory to our group, I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has information they would be comfortable sharing to a new hunter. Such as possible camp spots, typical weather, access, success, wolf numbers, or really any information/insight/advice I can get! It is a large area and I do not have a clue where to begin. Deka lake? Green Lake? Bridge lake? I am still working through the old threads regarding all these areas and often times daze off reading the non relevant side stories as they never disappoint.

I have done lots of research on the habitats of moose along with calling, sign etc to try and be as educated and prepared as possible. We have done some online scouting and were hoping to have made it up there in July for a scouting trip. With the recent fires, COVID, the heatwave and work travels, it has been far from an ideal summer to make the 6 hour drive. That being said I am hoping to sneak up there for a weekend in September provided the fires slow down to get a lay of the lands (or as much as possible in a weekend...). Young, new hunters who love to camp, have ATV's to get from camp to an area but loving getting into the thick and putting miles on the boots. Might bring the 14' aluminum to try out luck on some lake fishing over the 10-12 day trip.

Even without any shared info, I am just happy to finally introduce myself.

Happy Hunting!
    Last edited by Murphyv; 08-09-2021 at 01:20 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Beginners Luck in 5-01?

Hi Murphyv, You should reach out to Steven (SRUPP). He will definitely point you in the right direction. He's been a wealth of information for my upcoming moose hunt

Awesome I will do that thank you. Greatly appreciate, best of luck on your moose hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by sabourin View Post
    Hi Murphyv, You should reach out to Steven (SRUPP). He will definitely point you in the right direction. He's been a wealth of information for my upcoming moose hunt

Thanks, you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyv View Post
    Hi everyone, I have been a (silent) member 4 years now and have always enjoyed and appreciated the loads of information on the site. I did not grow up hunting and picked it up as a young adult a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. My grandfather passed along his well used Belgium Browning 30.06 however he was far too old to offer any guidance. Without a mentor I am glad there are folks on HBC who provide some form of guidance and advice to the newbies like myself.

I do not have any hunting secrets or tips to offer anyone being new to this however I am happy to pass along some fishing tips/guidance/advice/"honey holes" to those who may be looking to fish for salmon in the Capilano river or along the West Vancouver beach shore. What goes around comes around?

We were lucky enough to draw a shared Moose hunt in region 5-01, October 1-15th. As this is unfamiliar territory to our group, I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has information they would be comfortable sharing to a new hunter. Such as possible camp spots, typical weather, access, success, wolf numbers, or really any information/insight/advice I can get! It is a large area and I do not have a clue where to begin. Deka lake? Green Lake? Bridge lake? I am still working through the old threads regarding all these areas and often times daze off reading the non relevant side stories as they never disappoint.

I have done lots of research on the habitats of moose along with calling, sign etc to try and be as educated and prepared as possible. We have done some online scouting and were hoping to have made it up there in July for a scouting trip. With the recent fires, COVID, the heatwave and work travels, it has been far from an ideal summer to make the 6 hour drive. That being said I am hoping to sneak up there for a weekend in September provided the fires slow down to get a lay of the lands (or as much as possible in a weekend...). Young, new hunters who love to camp, have ATV's to get from camp to an area but loving getting into the thick and putting miles on the boots. Might bring the 14' aluminum to try out luck on some lake fishing over the 10-12 day trip.

Even without any shared info, I am just happy to finally introduce myself.

Happy Hunting!
    PM me. I know of a bull moose there. I had a cow and calf on my cam last year that I am pretty sure he fathered but who knows. I have a cabin on Deka lake, so I'm up there a couple times a year. I will share a location for you to check out. Hopefully it will be good karma for my upcoming archery elk hunt in a few weeks haha

Check out Doman Rd

Hmm local knowlege..HOWEVER massive fires in this area..surrounding area..
    Please send me a ph number in PM and I will add what I can..lol 5 calls today mostly from sheep hunters..
    Congrads on the draw..avail yourself of the kind offers presented already.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Know the area well.. I find the peak rut to be Oct 5-15 so definitely try to be there for as much of that time period as possible. Also it can either be -10 or +20 that time of year so do your homework before hand for meat cutters/ coolers in the area so you aren’t left stranded if you get something down and it heats up. Lots of rec sites to camp. The population is a fraction of what it once was but there is still a few donkeys in there

you probably know this but keep in mind the off limit times for atv riding.

My family has some property on one of the lakes close to Bridge lake. This spring when I was out bear hunting was the first year in awhile I saw less wolf sign and more signs the predators were on the decline in the area. Every year for the last little while I had been seeing more and more wolf sign and less of everything else.
    I saw a cow and week or two old calf moose and another year old moose, several deer, a family of geese and a big bear I couldn’t quite get out in the open before he winded me.

Good luck, I wish I’d drawn that tag.