Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob, any way for BCWF to help?

Rob, any way for BCWF to help?

Rob, if you havent seen, Missing has posted recently again about the missing hunter in Spatzisi.
    They have done a really good youtube video.
    And with hunting right around the corner and a small window up in Spatzisi due to weather to keep an
    eye out, is there a way for BCWF to carry the video on their site???
    (if it hasnt happened already?)

Link to youtube video"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOXqx51w9N0

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rob, any way for BCWF to help?

Busy summer. I will investigate. Lunch with the president today
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

If BCWF can somehow place the newly released youtube video on their site would be great, imo.
    And, if anyone at BCWF or contacts to GOABC to see if there is anyone in there as far a GO in Spatzisi that has territory
    in the actual area (Eaglenest Cr Trail/ Ram Cr Trail), that might be in there this season that could take a look.
    Would just like to see if the hunting community can figure out a way to look into the tent that was reported but that the RCMP
    has not been able to investigate or the Parks not being able to do so this years as was talked about between them and the family.
    Limited time, hard area to access, so hoping we as a community can do something??

I'm trying to think of another alternative to boots on the ground in a remote and dangerous area... I know absolutely nothing about drones, but this seems like an ideal use of drone technology - send in a drone/UAV to take HD / infrared scans of the area and review from the safety of a base. Wouldn't a similar type of technology be used say in the mining industry for topographic scans of mountains looking for resources? Could cross-over be possible?

I don't know but surely someone with knowledge does!

I think we'll get it up on BCWF's social media.

This story is one of the reasons my wife isn't crazy about me doing a solo caribou hunt in Spatsizi, so I can relate. Thanks for the suggestion Bugle.
    Rob Chipman

at my work we use BCUAV for drone work....I wonder if a GoFundMe to hire a drone guy might be beneficial?
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    I'm trying to think of another alternative to boots on the ground in a remote and dangerous area... I know absolutely nothing about drones, but this seems like an ideal use of drone technology - send in a drone/UAV to take HD / infrared scans of the area and review from the safety of a base. Wouldn't a similar type of technology be used say in the mining industry for topographic scans of mountains looking for resources? Could cross-over be possible?

I don't know but surely someone with knowledge does!

Rob,

If it can be posted on BCWF somehow, somewhere, just to keep hunters informed of the "new info", that would be great.
    Truth is, a lot of hunters here in BC do not go to HBC at all.
    The hunter who found this Tent/jeans/t-shirt was in there in 2013.
    But, if you look under Mainland BC, at the top is a thread that is "Stickied" at the top, and the thread started in 2010.
    The hunter found this in 2013, and was "not aware" of Tom being missing up there.
    So, the more avenues for info, the better chance it gets read somewhere.

Also, an "update".
    I spoke with someone from SCI/Hunters for BC, and they did get in touch with the GO up there.
    In turn, the GO contacted "Missing" directly and got more info about where this tent may have been spotted in 2013.
    So, that GO has told them that they will be keeping an eye open in that area.

So, fingers crossed, but still doesn't hurt to get the new info out on whatever avenues are possible.
    Thanks Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I think we'll get it up on BCWF's social media.

This story is one of the reasons my wife isn't crazy about me doing a solo caribou hunt in Spatsizi, so I can relate. Thanks for the suggestion Bugle.
    I admire folks that do solo hunts, especially long ones.
    But i just think its a bad idea all around.
    If it does not need to be solo, than don't do it.
    Unfortunately some of these limited leh hunts can cause that.
    You might win the draw but cant find a friend to go because he/she wont have a tag, thus is only along for the ride/walk.
    It really does require true friends that will come along if they dont have a tag.
    Accidental falls or bad weather or combination of both is unpredictable and probably the leading cause of concern and what goes
    wrong.
    Everyone needs to consider that.

Atleast your wife is concerned!!
    Mine, not really, but only when the daughter is along with me, so that says everything...lol

OK Bugle! Comms staff informed me they will (probably have by now) sent it out. I'm, not 100% clear where that is or what it looks like but I gather it's various SM platforms. I'm not real good at following them all. I'll try to get locations and get back to the forum.
    Rob Chipman

I was mistaken. Didn't go out yesterday but it did go out today. Saw it on Twitter. It's probably on other platforms as well. Go find it and share/retweet, etc.
    Rob Chipman