Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-16 - Early Season Alpine Deer Hunt

3-16 - Early Season Alpine Deer Hunt

Im planning an early season Alpine deer hunt and have been looking at the area east of Van Horlick Creek
    across towards Stein Valley Provincial Park.

Wondering if anyone has hunted up that way and found some annimals up in the alpine areas?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-16 - Early Season Alpine Deer Hunt

3-16 Has some good alpine deer hunting. Access is always an issue. There's a reason a guide outfit worked Texas Creek for many years.
    Like anywhere, when you get further back and away from the crowds opportunity generally gets better.

Tough steep country.
    Pre scout, find a water source for yourself, this year might be very different because of the very different hot weather. I would suspect cooler north sides and heavy timber nearby may be helpful this year.

Put on your boots and go, but expect long steep hard hikes, glass glass glass. Early and late in the day. You may even find them up higher in the rock, or on wind swept ridges to help cool themselves.

Good luck
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Thanks for the info, glad to hear there are some animals up in that area. Happy to put some miles on the boots to find them, just nice to know that all of the looking might yield something!!

I will try and get up there for a pre season scout over the next weekend or two.

@MichelD - Thanks for your PM, I have tried to reply but your inbox is full!!

I'll be up Van Horlick on September 1st, if I remember I'll let you know the conditions. If you are talking about the next fsr about 5km east that's called Blowdown, it's much nicer but sometimes access is tough for vehicles due to slides/downed trees. Bring a chainsaw. I beleive you can make it about 10k up that road before you may need to pack in the rest of the way. Enjoy! Please epost pics of the current conditions if you can. Most recent pics are 2017 ish.

Thanks, a heads up on the road conditions would be great if you can remember. I will be sure to grab some photos and write up a bit about the area once I have been up there

I’ve been up there scouting last year and I found it has pretty low deer numbers. two half days of glassing hiking and I didn’t turn up a single deer there’s a bit of sign but not like other places I’ve been. I would say it’s well worth the extra effort to get out to the Fraser Just my experience though could just be looking in the wrong spots

I've been in the Van Horlick and Blowdown area a few times, there is dear, bear and goats in there.
    I got a nice cinnamon bear out of Van Horlick quite a few years ago.
    Watch out for grizzlies.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Hey friend, just got back from Van Horlick FSR. We saw 1 grizzly back, way back, near the base of snowspider mountain. I also saw about 40 chipmunks, 1 Marmott and 2 grouse (not open until the 10th). A little bit of what looked like wolf or cougar scat, not sure, and it was old and dry. Also saw 4 other trucks hunting the area. Honestly, it was amazingly beautiful but ill likely never go back. Spend 2 days exploring every cut block in sight all the way back to the stein border and didn't see a single deer, blackbear or sign of them. Tons of berries road side. Maybe bears will be in there come October November but, again, nothing but one grizzly. Best of luck to you and stay safe, I suggest putting the time in another area.

Quote Originally Posted by Xterra View Post
    Hey friend, just got back from Van Horlick FSR. We saw 1 grizzly back, way back, near the base of snowspider mountain. I also saw about 40 chipmunks, 1 Marmott and 2 grouse (not open until the 10th). A little bit of what looked like wolf or cougar scat, not sure, and it was old and dry. Also saw 4 other trucks hunting the area. Honestly, it was amazingly beautiful but ill likely never go back. Spend 2 days exploring every cut block in sight all the way back to the stein border and didn't see a single deer, blackbear or sign of them. Tons of berries road side. Maybe bears will be in there come October November but, again, nothing but one grizzly. Best of luck to you and stay safe, I suggest putting the time in another area.
    I was there too! And the same, I saw nothing other than some grouse and chipmunks. It is gorgeous up there, though.