Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .410 shot size for grouse

.410 shot size for grouse

Just picked up my first .410 for shooting some grouse. Curious what you prefer for shot size?

I already have some 2.5" #6, but was thinking of getting some 3" as well. What's better, #4 or #6? TIA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .410 shot size for grouse

#6 would be more than adequate for grouse and do less damage to the meat than the larger #4

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    Just picked up my first .410 for shooting some grouse. Curious what you prefer for shot size?

I already have some 2.5" #6, but was thinking of getting some 3" as well. What's better, #4 or #6? TIA
    I have never had an issue with killing grouse with a .410 with either 2.5/3 inch shells in #5 to #8 shot the critical factor for me is getting as many shot into the target as possible and a .410 does not hold many pellets when you go to #4 shot or larger. I would recommend #5/6 and I think you will be satisfied.

Be well, /B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Thanks mc, appreciate the info! I guess there will also be more pellets per cartridge for #6 vs. #4

Thanks BB, you answered my next question before I was finished typing it!

I've just got to get back to the store before they are all sold out, slim pickings in ammo selection lately...

i use a 410 for a back pack gun when hikin in after the whitetail,,,,,,,2 1/2" or 3" shells work great,,,,,,i prefer the 7 1/2 shot,,,but if i cant find any ill drop down to #6 shot
    Aim small,,miss small

I like 2.5" #6
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Thank you very much for all the info gents! Looks like what I already have is good to go. Although I may buy one box of 3" #6 just to try out as well. Need to buy ammunition now before the opener. Shelves already look scarce, got to get it now before it's all gone.

Man I can't wait for the season to open and pop some chickens!

The larger shot is easier to find and to spit out than the finer shot...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

I use the larger shot #6 or #4 prefer the 3" . My thinking is less pellets = less chance for lead in the bird? . I go head shots and rarely get any shot in the breast. .