Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 16 year long search for MISSING HUNTER!

Re: 16 year long search for MISSING HUNTER!

Here's a link to Tom's missing site, http://missinginspatsizi.com

Makes a guy want to go hunt that area at least once.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

What's the region for that spot?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    Can Merlin remember the map he drew for Tom? Has anyone ever tried to trace it?
    When Tom failed to return home on October 2nd, Tammie immediately contacted the RCMP. Now I am not sure of the sequence of events here, but she told them about Merlin's involvement and they in turn contacted Merlin. A search was mounted immediately and Merlin was a member of that search party. One of the things that Merlin told Tom was to leave a "sign" under a rock at each campsite that he visited so in the event of a search, people would know that he had been there.
    The search got on the way and was met with inclement weather. According to Merlin, snow had already accumulated and the trail in the Icebox canyon was extremely treacherous. Merlin did tell me that a "sign" was found at the first camp spot but the search was suspended shortly afterward. A second search was to go the following July, but a late spring and heavy lingering snowpack stymied the plan.
    How do I know this? Merlin and I had a long discussion about the sequence of events starting with Tom's quest for knowledge from Merlin, the map with camping spots and the initial search.
    Sadly, SPOT came into existence two years later. It would have given Tom's path to follow if he had one.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

o, first off I have forward to all on my FB site.

I have watched the video (excellent job!)
    I have a question or 2, if someone could help out?

He took his quad.
    Was that ever found? was it with his truck? or had he left it elsewhere. (at the round 2 trip)?
    Also, he never took his 2nd round of food (as it was found in the truck), so issue happened in the first 10 days appr.

So, the last question is, what was the weather during this 10 days or so? was there heavy snowfall during that time?
    (i know there was during search, but what about his timeline and conditions)
    I only ask because i almost lost myself after falling into a huge snow drift that sat upon a juniper bush and if not for a friend,
    i may never have gotten out)
    Also ask (and i have never been there so dont know the terrain) because if there was heavy snow, is it possible to have fallen
    into a hidden rock crevasse?
    (which if so, most hunters avoid on their hunts and never look into)

Sorry, dont mean to sound morbid, but we know the outcome isnt good but we all want closure for the family and his body
    brought home.

Lastly, did anyone have direct contact with him before this hunt that may have given him some areas "to check out"?
    Meaning a spot or 2 to "hit first".
    Does anyone recall back then "where the sheep were hanging" that season?? (I know it is a stretch to remember).

Only asking because if someone gave him some areas to hit or tips/advice or had he seen sheep, this would be the 2 areas to
    look at first.
    Obviously the ram creek sounds like a lead.

Also, if anyone has leads, call the rcmp, but i would also say contact the family.
    The family will have the facts and if there is some similarities or coincidences, they would know if someone reports new info.
    No stone too small to help this family!
    Anything, albeit insignificant could help.
    A lighter, old wrappers, anything in there!

Thank you so much for taking the time and watching the video.

To answer your questions, yes the quad and the truck were found together at the Eagle Nest Trail Head. Yes there was a storm that hit Spatsizi day 3 or 4 of Tom's trip. I believe it may have been a snow storm. Tom talked to coworkers before he left about making a loop and then heading back to his truck for the next 10 days of food. What loop he meant I am not sure. The RCMP/search and rescue interviewed the coworkers but I am not sure what was said.

What we have stated in the video is all the facts that we know of. If I could go back in time trust me I would have asked a lot more questions from him. I know Tom always had a well thought out plan before he left for any trip. However, plans change when you are there. What he said before he left he may have changed when he arrived and started scoping for sheep.

Your questions are always welcome so please don't stop asking them. I will answer as much as I can.

There was mention of an old tent and jeans found, any idea where? Who that hunter is, the one that came across them?

Quote Originally Posted by igojuone View Post
    There was mention of an old tent and jeans found, any idea where? Who that hunter is, the one that came across them?
    "In 2013, a hunter stumbled upon a brown tent, blue jeans and white T-shirt that looked as it had been there for some time".
    "this was about 2 km up the Ram Creek from where the Ram Creek runs into the Eagles Nest River"

So, he was awarded the hunt in 2005, and the hunter came across this old tent in 2013, so that is 8 years.

I guess the question would be, was Tom's tent brown?
    Did anybody else go up there for a hunt and "leave a tent"?
    (I know there are guys that go on these hunts and pack gear in, but never pack it out).

here is a map of the trail that i think is mentioned where the tent/jean/shirt where spotted by a hunter (circled the area)

All that I know is the old camp is located where Eagle Nest River meets Rams Creek. The coordinates for this intersection is (UTM Zone 9 Easting 486500 E. Northing 6388500 N.) However you will then have to follow Rams Creek 2-5 km. The camp is very hard to see and can be walked by without knowing it is there. I do not have coordinates for the camp. The hunter who found the camp years ago did not have a GPS with him.

Yes Tom had a brown tent.