Thread: Yukon Moose

Yukon Moose

I've managed to get a moose draw for a non-resident guided hunt. Will be doing a boating and canoe trip.

Will be my first moose hunt after many years of unsuccessful LEH applications in BC, but I'm not going to hold my expectations too high as I've always been a big fan of putting meat in the freezer.

If I'm lucky enough to be successful, does anyone have experience shipping meat from Yukon to BC? I'm thinking Air North direct to Calgary may be my best bet, then take a drive to go pick it up.

Thanks
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Yukon Moose

I’ve heard of people talking to companies that do deliveries to markets or local butchers and they might be able to deliver the meat for a lesser cost than picking it up.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Air North will look after you. Most hunter friendly airline out there. Also they allow 2- 50#/piece checked bags at no extra cost so you could bring a bunch of cut wrapped and frozen meat home as check baggage and the rest shipped as air freight.
    Last edited by Tuffcity; 08-05-2021 at 10:36 AM.

A buddy got a reefer haul back, from fraser valley to aurora. (It was cheap, I can't remember the price, but I was surprised)
    Talk to a couple freight companies.

Just get it shipped as far as my house, me and my neighbours will make sure none of it goes to waste. Hahah
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Air North also direct to Kelowna. Might be closer?

I drew a special guide license for a buddy this year as well, we're hoping to go for caribou.
    I would suggest air north as well. I may be mistaken, but PNW might have a reefer truck that could take the meat at a more economical price.
    A permit is necessary when moving more than 44lbs of processed game meat from the territory (easy to get from the environment office, done it before when I visit family).

Good luck on your moose hunt.

Any word on when the bulls will typically start coming to calls that far north? Or when the bulls will come down to the water ways and lakes?

The moose rut in the Yukon isn’t far off from when they rut in BC. I have hunted moose in the Yukon a few times. Last week of October we typically saw a good number of younger bulls. The first week of October is generally when the larger bulls seemed to show themselves. That is also when water starts to freeze. Good luck!

As Tuffcity mentioned; Air North is the airline to use if you’re considering flying meat or anything hunting related. Great experiences with them.
    Last edited by Alpine Hunter; 08-31-2021 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Rafiki View Post
    I've managed to get a moose draw for a non-resident guided hunt. Will be doing a boating and canoe trip.

Will be my first moose hunt after many years of unsuccessful LEH applications in BC, but I'm not going to hold my expectations too high as I've always been a big fan of putting meat in the freezer.

If I'm lucky enough to be successful, does anyone have experience shipping meat from Yukon to BC? I'm thinking Air North direct to Calgary may be my best bet, then take a drive to go pick it up.

Thanks

how was your hunt?