Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: backpack stoves

Re: backpack stoves

friend just got a new jetboil flash and it boils .5L in 1min to a heavy rolling boil and 1L to a gentile boil in 2:15m enough for coffee tea but not quite hot enough for freeze dried so we took turns on .5l boils.

I second the Jetboil, under 2 minutes for a full boil, I used my a few weeks ago melting snow and it was still pretty fast and efficient

IF the flash is to small, get the sumo model, 1.8 litres only available in aluminum now, I like my sumo titanium for any back country use, have been using this for 8 years now

Jetboil Flash fan. Pretty simple and efficient in fuel, packing space and weight.

I was using the flash and loved it until I bought the Sumo. The two advantages of the Sumo are extra capacity and the ability to simmer. My flash can't simmer and that is a pain for some foods. I've been hooked on Jetboil for 3 years for back country hiking. I'm new to hunting but the principles of eating in the bush are the same.

MSR pocket rocket here as well. Have had it since 2005! Still going strong.

Have an MSR XGK white gas stove as well and hardly use it anymore. One time the pump leaked and it was a total pain in the ass. Plus it's big, smelly and... just why?

The pocket rocket works for me even at 7500ft l, although it tends to sputter a lot at that elevation it still works fine.

Maybe when my kid is older and we do a family trip I'll go back to white gas, but haven't used it in about 5 years and don't miss it.

I would suggest looking at the olicamp ultra titanium stove and XTS pot. Very well made and very light. I did some testing and compared a couple jetboil stoves and the olicamp boil times are almost a minute less. The big advantage is fuel consumption.
    my son and I did a 12 day sheep hunt and had two 1 litre boils per day and used 90 percent of one jetboil medium canister.
    This stove setup allows for simmer and frying etc.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    I would suggest looking at the olicamp ultra titanium stove and XTS pot. Very well made and very light. I did some testing and compared a couple jetboil stoves and the olicamp boil times are almost a minute less. The big advantage is fuel consumption.
    my son and I did a 12 day sheep hunt and had two 1 litre boils per day and used 90 percent of one jetboil medium canister.
    This stove setup allows for simmer and frying etc.

Okay, from your review on the oil camp stove and pot, mine is on its way to me now thanks for the heads up,

I run the pocket rocket 2 - love it.

as an aside buy the name brand iso-fuel canisters. I had a few of the woods (Canadian tire brand) freeze up on me at around 0 a couple weeks ago. No problems with the Jetboil brand fuel, or msr brand fuel. I like the cheaper fuel for just tailgating or when I day hunt out of the truck.

Time your stove
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I use a jetboil with msr fuel. With a fresh can of gas I’m sure it will boil two cups in under a minute and way faster than 7 minutes on the last boil the fuel can has in it. I don’t think I’ve ever used more than a small can on a trip.

The one thing I find a pain is having th half full cans around. I tend to just bring a full one with me and the partial cans never get used up. I know there’s a tool out there for filling them, but I haven’t got around to buying one and realistically a medium can is like $7 so it’s really not a huge cost for a trip. Sometimes the biggest pain is finding them to buy, because nobody wants to ship them.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"