Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: backpack stoves

backpack stoves

hey guys, im looking for what you guys are getting for realistic boiling times with your backpacking stoves. I've had an msr whisper lite international for over 10 years now and its always been good, I just did a service on it and then tested the boiling time with 2.5 cups of cold water. at sea level it took 7 minutes to come to a boil. it seems a lot slower than it used to be, id like to know your experiences with similar stoves.

thanks!
    Harv

2. Site Sponsor

Re: backpack stoves

I use an MSR pocket rocket ( had it for about 7 years). Not sure how exactly how long it would take to boil 2.5 cups of water but I can guarantee you it's quicker than 7 minutes if I have it wide open.

My buddy has the same stove and a couple years back on a bear hunt I was drinking coffee and eating oatmeal while his stove was still heating his water. I gave him the can of msr fuel I was using and his worked much better. He had been using some cheap brand of fuel he picked up at cdn tire. We were about 200m above sea level.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-03-2021 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I use an MSR pocket rocket ( had it for about 7 years). Not sure how exactly how long it would take to boil 2.5 cups of water but I can guarantee you it's quicker than 7 minutes if I have it wide open.

My buddy has the same stove and a couple years back on a bear hunt I was drinking coffee and eating oatmeal while his stove was still heating his water. I gave him the can of msr fuel I was using and his worked much better. He had been using some cheap brand of fuel he picked up at cdn tire. We were about 200m above sea level.
    I didn't realize msr made their own white gas, I was just using the Coleman stuff because its the only brand ive ever seen around. there is a noticeable difference? I have definitely noticed the boiling time of this stove degrading over the years, even with replacing nozzles and o rings.

thanks for the reply!

Not white gas. Its MSR ISOPRO 80/20 blend (isobutane/propane)

I suspect the cheap stuff my buddy was using had a different ratio
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-03-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Jet boil is the answer if you care about boil times. Fast as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post

Funny. I couldn’t get good fuel last year for our sheep hunt so the only option was Woods Isobutane from Can Tire.
    It was the only time that I’ve ever run out of fuel for a hunt.
    Good to know.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Jet boil is the answer if you care about boil times. Fast as they come.
    Isn't jetboil antihunter?

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Isn't jetboil antihunter?
    I thought Danny_29 was too…? That explains things…

Interesting that Harv asks about a white gas operated stove boil time and everyone points him towards IsoButane fuel for it or switching to an IsoButane fuel stove. I have used both over the years and have found that white gas have always performed better than IsoButane and to me are the lowest weight fuel to heat ratio available. I have used and old coleman white gas stove to melt lead for molding fishing weights many times over the years, from simmer to lead melting hot the range and control is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

I use a jetboil with msr fuel. With a fresh can of gas I’m sure it will boil two cups in under a minute and way faster than 7 minutes on the last boil the fuel can has in it. I don’t think I’ve ever used more than a small can on a trip.

The one thing I find a pain is having th half full cans around. I tend to just bring a full one with me and the partial cans never get used up. I know there’s a tool out there for filling them, but I haven’t got around to buying one and realistically a medium can is like $7 so it’s really not a huge cost for a trip. Sometimes the biggest pain is finding them to buy, because nobody wants to ship them.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.