Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late season boots

Late season boots

Wondering what most people are using for boots for their later season hunts. I have a pair of lowas non insulated I use for early season and have used last couple seasons but struggle with cold feet once there's a bit of snow if I'm sitting. I know socks make a world of difference too so wondering what everyone is using. Looked into darn tough socks as well as crispi has a set I was looking at. Currently contemplating getting a pair of the Crispi wild rock plus gtx, was also looking at Hanwag Trapper top Gtx. The boots are extremely pricey so I would obviously want them to resolve my issues and last a long time. I know alot of people also recommend the elk trackers and I see they are 1000g of insulation and these are by far cheaper then the others I listed however I have heard alot of mixed reviews of poor quality from the elk trackers in the last few years. Located in region 8, when moving I'm ok for warmth of feet but when I'm sitting it gets brutal. Open to other suggestions.

Yes first post- usually just do a bunch of reading on here

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Late season boots

The elk trackers will serve you well for the price. They are warm. As you know good boots are pricey! I wear kenetrek backboots for cold november hunts as well as winter varmit hunting. Mine are about 10 years old and still in great shape. The hanwag trappers you mentioned arent that warm of a boot with about 200 grams insulation. I have worn mine in about -15 and they are ok if you keep moving. They will last a long time as well. I have them.

I have a pair of Crispi wild rock GTX Plus. The ankle support is outstanding and they kept my feet nice a toasty during a mule deer hunt last December. I used use elk trackers but I found the ankle support is no where near as good as the wild rocks.
    Last edited by Silent But Deadly; 10-17-2021 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Forgot the important detail

Hanwag trapper tops late season and hanwag alaskans the rest.

if you like your Lowas why not get an insulated pair?

hanwag, lowa (brother companies) are a on a different level than redwing (elk trackers)

I use my insulated work boots. 400 gram I think. Saves me $300 and keeps them very well broken in.

Zamberlan sella gtx for late season and their Toffane GTX for the rest of the year.
    best boots I’ve ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Hanwag trapper tops late season and hanwag alaskans the rest.

if you like your Lowas why not get an insulated pair?

hanwag, lowa (brother companies) are a on a different level than redwing (elk trackers)
    Yes I agree that they are likely superior boots. I'd rather buy it once and be happy then have to buy it twice.

I have been looking on hanwags website and can't see how insulated the Alaskans or the trappers were. It says "Additional insulation layer under the insole and 8 mm insulation midsole" but not sure how it translates into grams of insulation.

If you’re looking at the elk trackers I would honestly say to look into Muck Boots instead. They are wicked warm and offer about as much comfort as a $hitty thinsulated boot. I wear Hanwag Tatra, Trapper top, and Muck boots. When it’s THAT cold I don’t generally end up hiking too far and hard so the muck boots do the trick. Don’t go chasing goats with them but they are great for sitting if your hike in isn’t too rugged.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by pin_head View Post
    If you’re looking at the elk trackers I would honestly say to look into Muck Boots instead. They are wicked warm and offer about as much comfort as a $hitty thinsulated boot. I wear Hanwag Tatra, Trapper top, and Muck boots. When it’s THAT cold I don’t generally end up hiking too far and hard so the muck boots do the trick. Don’t go chasing goats with them but they are great for sitting if your hike in isn’t too rugged.

Brad
    Which muck model?

I got a pair of the Hanwag trappers this summer and wore them for early elk trip. No issues with too hot of feet. The insulation is only in the foot bed. that being said I know what you mean about late season cold feet.
    First question is what are you hunting and what type of hunting. If hiking and packing you need good hiking type boots with insulation. I feel with good wool socks the hanwags would work ok if hiking but not if sitting.
    Ive been in the north a long time and work in forestry. For hunting and work once freezing and snow starts I go to a decent winter pack boot or the past few years a rubber insulated work boot with bama socks. As mentioned the muck boots are warm and waterproof but I found the pair I had didn’t last. Now running the Dunlop rubber boot, good to -40. I put miles on them but they don’t have great ankle support if you are looking for that. They keep the feet warm thought.