Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How do you solo hunt elk?

Re: How do you solo hunt elk?

Don’t feel bad OP.
    I drove 1200km to elk hunt only to realize I have no ****ing clue what I’m doing and am pissing in gale force winds.
    think I need to stick to what I’m good at and go fishing lol

I’m 3 years into bow hunting elk and I’ve heard it take 5 before you really start figuring it out. Sure I’m a little down I didn’t come home with meat but I don’t think I did much wrong other than being in the wrong place. It all takes time and to be honest I’ve been pretty much solo for the whole learning journey.

Although last season I didn’t get anything in bow or rifle season, I’ve had several close encounters that tell me I’m on the right track. There’s still plenty of time left this season to get out with the rifle and I’ve got a lot of overtime bank saved up. I’d love to find a hunting partner but it’s not something I’m gonna force. My son might end up being my partner soon enough (he’s almost 10). Another positive to take out of this trip was not everyone can camp and hunt by themselves for a week. I will admit that early on my mental toughness needed some work and I still have a ways to go but it’s getting stronger.

If anyone has any additional advice I would be happy to hear it.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I’m 3 years into bow hunting elk and I’ve heard it take 5 before you really start figuring it out. Sure I’m a little down I didn’t come home with meat but I don’t think I did much wrong other than being in the wrong place. It all takes time and to be honest I’ve been pretty much solo for the whole learning journey.

Although last season I didn’t get anything in bow or rifle season, I’ve had several close encounters that tell me I’m on the right track. There’s still plenty of time left this season to get out with the rifle and I’ve got a lot of overtime bank saved up. I’d love to find a hunting partner but it’s not something I’m gonna force. My son might end up being my partner soon enough (he’s almost 10). Another positive to take out of this trip was not everyone can camp and hunt by themselves for a week. I will admit that early on my mental toughness needed some work and I still have a ways to go but it’s getting stronger.

Cheers!

I assume you’re in the lower mainland? Next time you’re in the Merritt / Princeton / kamloops area don’t hesitate to touch base, we hunt every single weekend of season until the freezers full.

Right on thanks. I'll send you a message when I figure out my work schedule.

I completed my first attempt at hunting elk in the archery season and it was a learning experience. Hot weather and smoke added an element of challenge. Camping at a campground full of inbred rednecks made it feel like we were in some bizarre twilight zone. Not much fresh sign and no bugling during daylight hours. Thick timber that made it impossible to access many areas where elk could be. Definitely not an easy hunt. Might try next year closer to the rut and chase those 6 points with a rifle lol. Either way, great times were had and we escaped the crazy people from the campground before all hell broke loose. Some people are just plain weird haha. Hopefully some others found success during the archery season!

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Don’t feel bad OP.
    I drove 1200km to elk hunt only to realize I have no ****ing clue what I’m doing and am pissing in gale force winds.
    Wait a minute RyoTHC.....I thought that Elk book has has given you an edge on Elk Hunting expertise, Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Moose63 View Post
    Wait a minute RyoTHC.....I thought that Elk book has has given you an edge on Elk Hunting expertise, Lol
    How are you fairing this year moose? Any action?

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Don’t feel bad OP.
    I've read enough of your posts to know I aspire to be as "bad" at hunting as you are
    forever noob

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post

Cheers!
    Ahem, the more time you spend bowhunting the faster you will get it done. You can hunt with a bow for through out the GOS too... just saying.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."