Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you solo hunt elk?

Re: How do you solo hunt elk?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrax View Post
    Nearly every bull that gave opportunity with bow on solo hunts there was a herd of cows around and it was a satellite bull coming in. Stick close to herd and downwind or off to side and be ready for the one that comes in silent. I have screwed up opportunity by letting my guard down when i thought it was over. Dont sound too big unless your in close and challenging the big herd bull. Consider not calling too, if you can stay close to herd and think you can surprise a bull in an opening it might be worth trying. There are many times my hunt became more difficult when i cow called and suddenly the herd is aware of your presence even if they think your a cow.

I plan doing some bivy nights solo this year but i generally i do better staying in the wall tent and hiking out. I hunt up to 10km back and get into some really nice country and lots of elk but for some reason all my shot opportunities come within 2km of a road or quad trail. Like JT said your sleep will be better and you get to hit more drainages.

What is the weight and packability of the pack alarm?
    Pack alarm is light, probably under 1 lb, well worth bringing...

Man, just when I thought I had most of the gear you guys tell me to buy another thing…

Im starting to get excited. I think I’m going to bring the atv just so I have some more options available. I have 2 spots I’ve never been to and one I’ve been to the last 2 years to check out. The spot I’ve been to I called a bull in that I mentioned earlier in the thread but last year in the same are there wasn’t any sign. It will be my third option if the other two don’t work out.

How many potential locations do you usually plan for? I think I might only have time for 3 if I assume two days to find sign or elk.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Yeah it is a little scary sometimes when you are out there solo. I have an InReach and I also pack a shorty 12g.
    best to pack a friend with a shorty.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    best to pack a friend with a shorty.
    Haha you are probably right but at this point I've almost given up on finding a hunting partner. It's probably me since I'm the common factor in all the times I've tried to find one but things just don't seem to line up.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Haha you are probably right but at this point I've almost given up on finding a hunting partner. It's probably me since I'm the common factor in all the times I've tried to find one but things just don't seem to line up.
    Good hunting partners that hunt the same style like backcountry elk and sheep hunting are tough to find. Hunt through to the last day, stay positive, stay committed, are hardy and compatible. Not all guys want to bivy out or leave before light and come back in the dark etc.

This year will be different, for the first time ever, we will get two elk down early and spent the rest of the trip relaxing, fishing, making glorious meals and drinking beer, wine and a splash of whiskey.

Sounds like a good time. If you have room next year…hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Where are you headed?

Here in the west koots it's been very dry. Make sure you hunt areas with fairly substantial creeks. Anything that doesn't show up on all the maps will be close to dry over the next couple weeks.

Good luck and hope for rain and then cooler weather.
    I am headed towards the Fruitvale/Montrose area. I’ve been lucky to hunt the area a few times for turkey now and elk/whitetail.

Ive been able to scout pretty hard for Elk in April when I was hunting turkey. It was weird when I came across really thick timber and decent creek action how there was a micro climate. In there, I found fresh bull elk sign and I’m sure it’s an elk I saw last Oct. He was a beauty 5x5 so I couldn’t take him with the 6pt restriction. Hence why I am targeting archery this year for any bull!

I appreciate the advice though as It will be hot and dry, so I will stick to those thick timbered areas with water.

Good luck to you as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    I am headed towards the Fruitvale/Montrose area. I’ve been lucky to hunt the area a few times for turkey now and elk/whitetail.

Ive been able to scout pretty hard for Elk in April when I was hunting turkey. It was weird when I came across really thick timber and decent creek action how there was a micro climate. In there, I found fresh bull elk sign and I’m sure it’s an elk I saw last Oct. He was a beauty 5x5 so I couldn’t take him with the 6pt restriction. Hence why I am targeting archery this year for any bull!

I appreciate the advice though as It will be hot and dry, so I will stick to those thick timbered areas with water.

Good luck to you as well!!
    Your top priority will be to try to get away from hunting pressure. Turkey/bear season is fairly quiet. Elk hunting is a different beast.

Sounds like you have a good plan though. Follow up when the hunt is wrapped up.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Your top priority will be to try to get away from hunting pressure. Turkey/bear season is fairly quiet. Elk hunting is a different beast.

Sounds like you have a good plan though. Follow up when the hunt is wrapped up.
    I actually find turkey season in this area busier than the fall for the most part.

when I was there in April there were turkey hunters all over the place! Which did make it a challenge to get a bird.

either way, I’m super pumped just to get in the bush again and have some time with good friends chasing some screaming elk!! Leaving in 8 days!!

RE the quad... consider taking the quad in predawn to about 3-5 km to where you want to hunt and walk in the rest of the way. I've been sitting quietly watching elk walk along the skidder trails and as soon as they hear a quad they disappear into the trees. Once you have your bull on the ground you can always hike back to the quad and bring it close for an easier retrieval.

One or two location bugles in the pre-dawn darkness to find a bull, then boogie toward him as fast and safe as possible then start cow calling, listen, and be ready for anything! If he replies bugle once (not too big) and go toward him again and cow call. Use a decoy if possible. Also, if you know anyone in the area talk with them in advance and see if they are willing to be on call to help with an extraction. I always welcome those calls and happy to help out another hunter if possible. whether to help blood trail or carry a load. Good luck.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."