View Poll Results: Should crossbows be allowed in the archery season?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 59.26%
  • No

11 40.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossbows in archery season

Crossbows in archery season

I think a person should be able to use a crossbow in the archery season. Historically they are older than dirt. The argument about the superior accuracy of a crossbow is a non issue, in my opinion, as superior accuracy translates into less wounded animals.
    Last edited by Walksalot; 03-15-2005 at 07:59 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crossbows in archery season

Isn't a crossbow just a 'cross-over' device , between those that can't own a rifle and those that can't shoot a real bow ?

Besides the sighting differences, I don't think the crossbow has much advantage/disadvantage. It has a string, so must be archery. IMO

Hey Walksalot , With all due respect i disagree with the premises of your post. Firstly being historically older dos`t quallify for anything other than being old.
    The superior accuracy of the crossbow is an issue (ease of use being another). I have seen novices accurate out to 50yds and those who practice and use rangefinders accurate beyond 80yds. Sound game management centers around harvest numbers and I recall studies in Ohio that show large increases in Whitetailed deer harvests as result of use of crossbows. If a small portion of that increase were to happen in the area i hunted WT foe over 40 years the season would be shortened with new limits. I would be really pi-- off if this happened just because of the use of what my buddy (crossbow hunter) calls "the big easy'.
    The "less wounded animals" thing is a non-issue. All bowhunters are encouraged shoot with-in their personnel and weapon capabilities and wounding would even out and be minimal.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On--

Greybark, an archer with a compound can shoot out to fifty or sixty yards with the accuracy to harvest an animal. The problem is the estimation of the yardage to make that shot so many compound shooters have went to range finders and in a hunting situation I think this is good because this equates to less wounded animals. Personally I don't have one yet because my pesonal effective distance is thirty yards.

Archers staying within their capabilities is would be nice but I think this is a bit of a pipe dream. We all know traditional and compound shooters who have taken "Hail Mary" shots and when you think about it those archers have no reguard or respect for the animal or they wouldn't take that big of a risk to wound that animal.

I used to be dead against crossbow, in fact I used to be of the mind set that I would rather have a sister in a whore house than a brother who hunted with a crossbow but I have since softened my opinion of crossbows.

hey guys, i'm really enjoying the crossbow debates!....but could someone fill me in....is a crossbow currently allowed during archery season? (i've never looked into it as i've never been remotely close to the oportunity to hunt with a crossbow).

Well i believe that crossbows should be allowed. As I've stated in the other thread I don't believe them to be any more effective than a compound. My only concern at all with allowing the crossbow is that it makes it very easy for the slob hunters who want a quick way to get an "in" on the archery season. They figure that the crossbow is just the same as shooting their gun and so requires little or no practice. I personally know people like this.....some tried compound briefly and when they found it required some time and dedication they just picked up a X-bow and went hunting. Now i don't know about you guys, but these are not the people I want to share the woods with during archery season. Now that being said i belive that all archers need to stick together so the X-bow must be allowed, and with that we will just have to deal with the slobs and try to do enough to boost our image where they may be hurting it.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Hey Walksalot , I figure only 3-5% compound bowhunters are able to harvest big game at 50-60yds. Heck any novice crossbow hunter with a rangefinder can do that. Once again it proves that the rate of harvest will increase to the point of I will have my bowseasons shortened and limits cut back. The crossbow`s effectiveness coupled with an increase of the type of hunter you describe threatens the bow seasons and present bag limits. I appreciate your views .- Greybark

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Greybark, have you ever shot a compound or have you always been a traditional shooter? I don't practice as much as I should but on my range with my bow I can group the arrows fairly well at fifty yards and I am by no means a good shot. This is why I shoot a compound because I started from square one and learned the correct form and practiced enough to have it drilled into my subconscience. Now I can set the bow down for a month or more, pick it up and in an hour of shooting I am back in the groove. I am not prepared to make the commitment to practice required to be proficient with traditional tackle.

Crossbows are legal in British Columbia and the harvest rate in the bow season has not skyrocketed. I think the vast majority of bowhunters have a love for the sport and that is why they are out there. There will always be the bad apples in the barrel but that is a fact of life we have to live with.

I know personally a hunter in Alberta who shot traditional equipment and gave up the sport because of the animals they were wounding and not finding.

I been hunting for years, enjoyed many hunts with rifle as well my bow & arrow. The only thing i see wrong is people dont see there limits in situations in the bush. A rifle is a lot more forgiving in the bush then any archery equipment. Hunting with archery equipment is so much different, most shots taken with a bow should be within your shooting range, unfortunately some people push that envelope. Now with that in mind I find people should be responsible, bow & arrow you know your limits you practice, to many people I know owning a crossbow is like a rifle, my opinion is people take an advantage with that crossbow and take that extra long shot , now dont get me wrong Im sure everybody has made a mistake , but we hopefully learn through those mistakes.

Hey Walksalot , I shot compounds form 1985 - 95. and traditional 1995-05. I have done very well in 3-d shoots , championships (one Cdn title) as well as 5 P+Y (3 more pending) and 10 entries in the newly being formed BRBC club.
    Of course the crossbow harvest has not made an impact with the exception of Elk harvests. half the elk in the early archery season were taken by crossbow and i bet their success will snow ball the crossbow numbers along with the associated increase in harvest. Almost Wither we like it or not generally crossbows are looked down on by the archery community.(GENERALLY) When they break out of that shadow the numbers of crossbow hunters and their harvests will no doubt shorten (already short)the bow seasons and bag limits i now enjoy.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --