Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First bear... Rug or no rug?

Re: First bear... Rug or no rug?

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    I got my first big game animal this spring which was a black bear and it's not a big boar or anything, just an average bear. Before the hunt I was dead set on doing a rug so I salted and froze the hide. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if I should just keep the skull and wait for an older boar. I really only plan on doing 1 rug since they aren't cheap. How many of you guys got your first black bear turned into a rug and do you wish you would of waited for an older one? Thanks in advance.
    I had the same thinking. A rug is a bit of an investment so you want to do it with a worthy animal, IMHO. Personally, unless the hide is unique (cinnamon phase for example), I'd wait for a bear that is over 6 feet myself. My black bear rug is at 6'4". I knew as soon as I saw him that he was 'the one'. Skull was a 1/4" under B&C! You might want to consider just getting it tanned though, then you can get a rug down the road if you're so inclined. Pic of my rug with my daughter for size comparison.

Last edited by Ltbullken; 08-03-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Re: First bear... Rug or no rug?

I got my first bear this year, and my second. I got a shoulder mount done and am super pumped to get it back next spring. I’m waiting on a colour phase for my first rug