Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First bear... Rug or no rug?

Re: First bear... Rug or no rug?

I shot quiet a few bears over the years and waited until one was big enough. 6'4" Squared with lots of girth on this one. Made Boone & Crockett at 20 3/8". Glad i waited for a big one. Ended up putting it on the wall. Work was done by Ray Weins. Top notch guy and does great work. Would recommend Ray

I just finished tanning my bear hide myself.
    I'll post up my process which is the quick and cheap version. Good for beginners like myself.

Just like Mark I did mine myself. I has fun to learn the process. Important to stretch the hide.....like I neglected to do LOL. I'll probably get someone to do a color phase if I ever manage to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Just curious if any taxidermy could be considered "practical"??
    most i would say is for display..so if you cant display it due to room or other reasons I guess it would then be impractical even for that

whoops accidental double tap
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 07-30-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Same boat as the OP. First big game animal, first year hunting etc. Ended up with a good sized boar this spring, but not a monster. Deliberated on the decision and decided to just get the skull done. Still waiting on the skull and have zero regrets. After a few months of reflection, I'm very happy with the decision to not go with a rug. I believe it would have ended up being stored and taking up space at my house.

I'd say, if your gonna hang it on the wall then heck ya go for it, I did my first bear as rug, and he was just under 6ft, he's been on my wall ever since, I love sitting in my lazy boy infront of the fireplace reminiscing of that hunt. However if you don't have the wall space I don't really see the point in having it rolled up and stored away,it's really personal preference, life's short enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Just curious if any taxidermy could be considered "practical"??
    Only when you use them for a bedspread.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I shot quiet a few bears over the years and waited until one was big enough. 6'4" Squared with lots of girth on this one. Made Boone & Crockett at 20 3/8". Glad i waited for a big one. Ended up putting it on the wall. Work was done by Ray Weins. Top notch guy and does great work. Would recommend Ray

Wow that is a beast!

Thanks for the input and replies guys, I think i'll do a euro mount with the claws and wait for that bigger boar. Mauser that's a monster bear you got!