Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First bear... Rug or no rug?

Re: First bear... Rug or no rug?

Good idea to just get it tanned and hang it with a proper hanger by the nose
    Pretty soon you will have a row of them like suits in a closet, maybe different colours, each with a story
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I have a bunch of rugs on the wall (grizz, black, wolves) and now think to myself “what was I thinking”

would like to sell them now but wouldn’t know where to put them up

in my opinion, don’t bother.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

First 2 average size Black Bears the little Wife shot, after having the Fur tanned she made them into a sexy looking Jacket keeping her warm on those -25C Winter Shopping days in Prince George. Helped her to be a Swiss trained professional Fur Seamstress.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Hmm wait until you get a proper bear to get done up.average is not one to get rugged.IMO 6 feet 6 inches rug one.better yet 7 foot primo. .they are $$$ and take up lots of valuable wall space.
    Srupp

Provided the hide is decent at minimum tanned. I'm happy I got my first rugged, but I don't really have a good spot for it.
    Last edited by Tred; 07-29-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    I got my first big game animal this spring which was a black bear and it's not a big boar or anything, just an average bear. Before the hunt I was dead set on doing a rug so I salted and froze the hide. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if I should just keep the skull and wait for an older boar. I really only plan on doing 1 rug since they aren't cheap. How many of you guys got your first black bear turned into a rug and do you wish you would of waited for an older one? Thanks in advance.
    I'd save your money, euro the skull and wait for a bigger bear...

I'd listen to Srupp and Harry Toolips

Keep the skull and the claws.
    And wait till you get a big bear or go shouldar mount. Or go half a bear shouldar mount with the two front legs that is what we have and looks pretty nice. This was a bigger bear though.
    Rugs are kind of nice but if you put them on the floor which we did you always walk in to the dam mouth and stub your toe.
    Go and check out taxidermists work first.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I'm in the same place as yourself. I shot my first blackie this Spring too. I opted to have the bear made into a rug and I shipped it over to Ray Weins. It will take some time to get back, but I don't have any regrets at this time, even though it is rather expensive. You never forget your first bear and I think if you're debating it you should do it. It's around $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I've had several bear hides tanned/rugged. Bear rugs are pretty impractical so I sort of regret them all. One is used in the dog bed.

But if you are going to get one and only one done to hang on your wall or something, then wait for the perfect one. A big bear with perfect fur.
    Just curious if any taxidermy could be considered "practical"??
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever