Thread: Release (Thumb vs Wrist) and Arrow Rests

Release (Thumb vs Wrist) and Arrow Rests

Hi. Not new to hunting (rifle) or this site, but new to archery. Been thinking about it for several years, and had an opportunity to buy a used Diamond Edge 320 that came with case, quiver, arrows, wrist release, target, upgraded 5 pin site, etc. I think my bow is decent beginner bow - decide if I like archery and actually learn about archery, and if I stick with it I can upgrade the bow and other accessory later. So first thing I did before thinking about shooting, was request lessons as the Victoria Bowmen Archery Club. One thing I learned from playing pool was consistency was key and breaking bad habits was hard, so best to start off with lessons to get into good habits from the start. However, the club was a few weeks away from losing their range as it was turning into a bus terminal. Great timing! So...next step, read and watch lots of YouTube videos. Then realize, it can be pretty darn complicated for a newbie without a person showing and teaching them. So...learned as much as I could, then went to Bucky's Sports in Duncan (as they seem to be the place that would be the most knowledgeable in my area) with my bow to buy some arrows. All the way there just for arrows? Yes!. Because believe it or not, as much research as I did, I had a hard time figuring out the right arrow for me. I had figured out my draw length and go with graphite, but not some other specs. Bucky's was great. They measured my draw length, checked the bow, changed the draw weight, levelled it, etc. I guess that's the "set up" we hear about. Super thankful to them. So then I go out and shoot some arrows. Honestly, I felt pretty good. After only about 5 different outings, I really enjoy it and I feel like I'm actually doing ok hitting the target. I start at 20 yards, then 30, then 40, then 50. Of course my groupings are tighter the closer I am. Then I noticed that I'm "punching" the shot and my arrows on the target are in the range of center to slightly down and to the right. So I will correct that (been doing lots of learning).

Now, the reason for posting. I have a whisper biscuit type (it's not a real whisker biscuit) rest. I can't help but think that running through that impacts my shot as the arrow is hitting this object as it passes through. It seems like a drop down rest would impact the shot less (as long as it drops at the correct time). So what do people on here use?

The other question is about releases. I have a index finger wrist release. But I don't really find it comfortable. Then, it just so happens that archery was on tv a few weeks ago. Almost all the competitors had thumb releases (not sure which type as my research now shows there are several types of thumb releases like hinge, etc.). Thumb release seems like it would be easier to be more consistent as it's touching your face more than the wrist rest (same contact point each time). So they question is, do more people here use thumb releases or index finger wrist releases?

Apologies for the long post. Thanks for all your help.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Release (Thumb vs Wrist) and Arrow Rests

I use the index finger and like it,haven’t used a thumb release so can’t help you with which one is better.

As far as a drop away rest goes, I’ve used a Ripcord rest for a long time and a lot of bows. I think they’re great!
    After some inexplicable target panic with a Short n Sweet trigger release, I switched to a Spot Hogg Whipper Snipper thumb release and have never looked back.
    I also drive a Dodge for those looking to trash on a trifecta.��

Work on your form and target panic. Guys get trigger happy with thumb releases too, so just do what you can. Whisker biscuits are just fine and I wouldn't bother upgrading untill you've had lots of practice. Usually with archery it isn't the gear that's holding you back.

Whisker biscuit will effect your arrow...at close range it's negligible. Maybe at 50 you'd see some weirdness but more thank likely caused by other issues...when you upgrade bows you'll upgrade to a drop away as well.

As for the release. If the wrist release is uncomfortable take it as a blessing thumb is the way to go 100%. I find my wrist release very comfy and have shot it forever...now I've got to learn a new release all over again after having a wrist ingrained in me. Bite the bullet and get a thumb release. Check out nock on, some excellent videos on their back tension release.

I started with a wrist release and a used bow as well. I shot it for a few years until I'd learned what specs I might want in a bow and then went shopping with more knowledge. Watch all the youtube stuff and practice as much as you can. Consistency is key. Even if you do something wrong, as long as you do it every time you will probably be ok out to 40-50 yards. You need to be good for farther than that though so getting some good advice is helpful.

Don't worry about the rest, it will do just fine until you geek out some more.

After I learned a bit I now use a thumb release and my bow has a lot different specs than my first one. Not saying the wrist strap is bad at all, I just learned my preferences.

And now to get a little snobby...Your bow isn't tuned, it's only been set up. The only real way to tune a bow takes way more time with you shooting it a bunch and sometimes pretty specific tools. I'm sure they did a good job setting it up to the factory specs but that is usually just a starting point. With that being said, until you can shoot consistently it would be a waste to tune it. Make sure the basics are good-cams timed, centre shot is good, peep is set to the right height, learn how to shoot and then head down the rabbit hole of tuning.

I love guns but if I'm going to the range just for fun, 9 times out of 10 or more I'll be going to the archery range. It's like yoga for men.

Thanks everyone for your input, suggestions, etc. Very much appreciated. I'll continue shooting and learning and shooting and learning. I try to have my girlfriend with me sometimes to video and take pictures while I shoot so I can review afterwards. I think I may look into the Cowichan Bowman Archery Club as well. Would be nice to shoot with some people who are seasoned. Sometimes, all the videos and reading can only do so much if I'm stuck. Thanks again to everyone for replying.