Thread: Early Season - Lower Mainland

Early Season - Lower Mainland

Hello all,

I am looking to get out and do some scouting before bow season. A buddy of mine says its pointless to scout for deer but I think he's just being lazy. Ideally I would be hunting with a backpack in the hopes of getting to areas that road hunters wouldn't bother with but I have no idea where to start. I was thinking about heading up to Boston Bar area but I am not familiar with the terrain... is it backpack friendly country up that way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Early Season - Lower Mainland

Well I did a one day scouting trip and just returned from a two day trip without success. The land up there is really nice but I didn't really see much wildlife. I made it a couple kilometers away from the road but being solo I decided to limit how far I traveled from the FSR.

I found some really nice vantage points but they went against the draws that would have been used by deer for cover while traveling. I was thinking of repositioning but the wind wasn't going to let that happen.

The one exciting moment was when I could hear branches breaking. After about 30 minutes a nice moose crossed from one draw to another about 180m away... assuming my range finder was accurate.

Pointless to a out for deer???? To each their own I suppose but he’s greatly missing out. Every single time in the woods you learn something new. Be that something about a mushroom or seeing more deer tracks. The more you see a deer track the better yourngonnna get at aging it, sizing it, tracking it. There is lots of area around Boston bar. Get on google early and start lookin

never pointless to scout,,,,,,,every year i start scouting my spots come July,,,,yes,,,,thats a bit early,,,,,but i have noticed in the spots i scout,,,,,the bucks i get on camera and see when out,,,,,,they stay in the area pretty much year round,,,,,,all that changes is the time of day,,,,,and available daylight,,,,that they are moving around,,,,,as long as they arent getting bumped on a constant basis,,,,,they are there
    Aim small,,miss small

I've only been hunting for the last couple seasons but every time I go out I learn something. This last trip has me thinking about terrain features. Getting up to a nice high vantage point is awesome but if you can't see commonly used terrain features from the right angle it's not very effective. That moose I seen would have moved completely thru the area I was glassing unseen if he hadn't of climbed over into the other draw. Now if I was positioned inline with those two draws I would have probably seen movement much sooner.