Thread: bear bones for dogs

bear bones for dogs

Any reason not to feed bear bones to a dog? Cleaned and boiled?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bear bones for dogs

I wouldn’t. I suspect that even boiled bones could splinter pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Any reason not to feed bear bones to a dog? Cleaned and boiled?
    NEVER give cooked or boiled bones to dogs,,,,ever! They are much harder and brittle = splintering. And if they swallow one it could get lodged or possibly tear up their digestive track!

If you're worried about trichinosis you can freeze the bones for a couple of weeks. I believe that would kill the parasite but you may want to google that. I give my griff frozen neck or back pork bones almost daily which is similar to bear meat/bones although the chances of trichinosis is far less due to North American health standards ,,,,,and certainly non existent after freezing for a set period of time but just in case I do give her a deworming/parasite pill every couple of months.

I also give my dog frozen turkey necks, chicken backs, and deer, elk, and moose ribs frequently. I'll give her deer legs, as well, but once she's chewed the condyles off and has gotten some of the marrow I'll take them away.

It's probably a good idea to monitor your dog all the time when giving them bones. Don't think I'd throw her a bone and then leave the house for a few hours. You never know what could happen.

i have heard cooked bones are bad from alot of people....
    freezing will not kill trich.. well any freezing you or i could do. i wouldnt feed uncooked bear to my dog. and i wouldnt give him a cooked bone either.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    i have heard cooked bones are bad from alot of people....
    freezing will not kill trich.. well any freezing you or i could do. i wouldnt feed uncooked bear to my dog. and i wouldnt give him a cooked bone either.
    It does in pork but apparently NOT with wild meat,,,,,so it looks like raw bear bones are not a safe choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    It does in pork but apparently NOT with wild meat,,,,,so it looks like raw bear bones are not a safe choice.
    Trich in our bears is different than the one in pork. It is far more "Stout" yes freezing will kill it but not at the temps your normal deep freeze will ever achieve. That is where people get it mixed up. 175 is what kills tric in bears and that is it....

Well I for one have been feeding raw bear meat and bones to 2 different dogs. My Rottie died of cancer at 11 and never had so much as worms her entire life. My current pup at 4 is quite the same. Many will say I'm taking a big risk, but 15 years of dogs thus far and NADA. Trust me with my crew and that of my buddies and their families, lots of bears come through my shop. The scraps always get put to good use!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

​Never ever cooked bones!