Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate lab pup

Re: Chocolate lab pup

Thank you, Angus

Daughter got a Chocolate from White Robbin in Princeton, the dog is 14 now, only health problems have been "self inflicted." Wonderful dog, great with kids and other dogs, never hunted tho'. Daughter is an Animal Tech and was happy with the testing program at the time.
    Our cabin neighbour picked up a Yellow lab from them, very happy with it and said to be good on birds.
    We know a couple in Hope who have 2 Labs from them, one Choco, one Black and they are high drive retrievers. Very focused and driven. The youngest one has been hunted extensively in the past year or two and apparently done very well. No health concerns at all.
    Another fellow had one from White Robin and said it was a great dog but he wasn't happy with the Breeder's attitude when some issues arose.
    AS in all cases, do your due diligence.

We're on our second Chocolate Lab from White Robbin. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Daughter got a Chocolate from White Robbin in Princeton, the dog is 14 now, only health problems have been "self inflicted." Wonderful dog, great with kids and other dogs, never hunted tho'. Daughter is an Animal Tech and was happy with the testing program at the time.
    Our cabin neighbour picked up a Yellow lab from them, very happy with it and said to be good on birds.
    We know a couple in Hope who have 2 Labs from them, one Choco, one Black and they are high drive retrievers. Very focused and driven. The youngest one has been hunted extensively in the past year or two and apparently done very well. No health concerns at all.
    Another fellow had one from White Robin and said it was a great dog but he wasn't happy with the Breeder's attitude when some issues arose.
    AS in all cases, do your due diligence.
    FFS John….for someone who is educated and supposedly of Mensa intelligence you can be awfully thick between the ears.

The standards for ethical breeding of Labrador Retrievers includes DNA prescreening of both parents for EIC, CNM and PRA. White Robin doesn’t do these tests……..therefore they don’t fall into the category of an Ethical and responsible breeder.

While at the time of your daughters purchase (14 years ago) these tests were not used as extensively used things have changed dramatically and for very good reasons. Maybe ask her to enlighten you on what the standards are today.

I’m at a loss to understand why you keep flogging this dead horse. You were given this information on this site years ago. If you don’t believe me look into it a little further on your own.

Until then please stop pedaling this potentially harmful advice.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    FFS John….for someone who is educated and supposedly of Mensa intelligence you can be awfully thick between the ears.

The standards for ethical breeding of Labrador Retrievers includes DNA prescreening of both parents for EIC, CNM and PRA. White Robin doesn’t do these tests……..therefore they don’t fall into the category of an Ethical and responsible breeder.

While at the time of your daughters purchase (14 years ago) these tests were not used as extensively used things have changed dramatically and for very good reasons. Maybe ask her to enlighten you on what the standards are today.

I’m at a loss to understand why you keep flogging this dead horse. You were given this information on this site years ago. If you don’t believe me look into it a little further on your own.

Until then please stop pedaling this potentially harmful advice.
    I'm simply stating family, neighbour and friend's actual experiences, including considerable actual hunting experience, not suggesting anyone choose, or for that matter, not choose them.
    I'm also very well aware that things have "changed" for the better overall in testing.
    The difference in testing between our first dog and our third dog is considerable.
    Not judging, not offering advice, just offering real life experiences and as noted in my penultimate comment "Do your due diligence."
    I appreciate that you are passionate about this and respect your considerable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    I'm simply stating family, neighbour and friend's actual experiences, including considerable actual hunting experience, not suggesting anyone choose, or for that matter, not choose them.
    I'm also very well aware that things have "changed" for the better overall in testing.
    The difference in testing between our first dog and our third dog is considerable.
    Not judging, not offering advice, just offering real life experiences and as noted in my penultimate comment "Do your due diligence."
    I appreciate that you are passionate about this and respect your considerable experience.
    Thank you for your civil and measured response.

The problem with posting your “real life experience” ,despite the caveat, is that someone reading it (and not the entire thread) might take it as an endorsement for an unethical breeder and perhaps buy from them because “well John knows of a few dogs who turned out just fine from this breeder so they must be OK.”

Simply put, it’s just not helpful for someone trying to make an informed decision based accurate and up to date information.

Bottom line is that it is NOT OK to fail to properly screen purebred breeding stock. There is absolutely no excuse in this day and age not to. The total cost of the three genetic tests mentioned is around $150.00 per dog. The results of not doing this screening could (and often does) result in a whole world of hurt (emotionally and financially) for many who end up with a defective animal.

Anyway, a smart (and ethically motivated) guy like you could really help further the cause of proper and responsible breeding by NOT muddying the waters further so to speak. It’s tough enough for an inexperienced puppy buyer to get accurate and unbiased info.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Labby, the reality is that many dog owners, be they "inexperienced" or very experienced do buy their dogs, be they Labs or mutts, from Breeders that might not provide the most up to date testing available.
    That may be due to availability, price, looks, whatever, including the "attitude" of some Breeders. There's a couple of Breeders of our particular breed that I wouldn't ever deal with simply because of the Breeder's attitude.
    HBC is a Hunting site, a Hunter asked about Labs and a few, not just I, mentioned a Breeder that in my experience has produced a number of amazing hunting dogs. Yes, they should look into all aspects of the dog, that's a given, I'm not arguing that point at all. If I said something like "Nah, ya don't need all them fancy tests, a Lab is a Lab is a Lab" then I would deserve your frustration and more.
    Anyways, always good to hear from you and I hope that the OP finds a good Lab, fully tested from a hunting line.
    Cheers.

Re: health clearances and screening …..
    Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    There is absolutely no excuse in this day and age not to. The total cost of the three genetic tests mentioned is around $150.00 per dog. The results of not doing this screening could (and often does) result in a whole world of hurt (emotionally and financially) for many who end up with a defective animal.
    Exactly …. Genetic testing for CNM, EIC and PRA is only a cheek swab and a stamp to mail away the envelope. The only reason not to do this testing is that the “breeder” does not want to put the time or the $$’s into the potential litter!
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Thanks again for all the help guys, I’ve been checking on the names of the more credible kennels that where posted as of right now wait lists are very long there is a very high demand. So for now it seems like patience is going to be key

I’ll add my name to the list of people that has a great pup from White Robin - natural bird drive and great temperament.
    I’ll not get into the ethics and testing discussion though.
    Last edited by Livewire322; 07-28-2021 at 06:37 PM.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."