Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate lab pup

Chocolate lab pup

Looking to get a new lab pup next year been looking around at different breeders and it’s seems there is a huge demand for puppies right now.

So I would like to try and get my name in on a waiting list now and was hoping someone here would have some suggestions of reputable lab breeders in BC

Thank You

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Chocolate lab pup

White robin in Princeton and Makala lbs in mission

Cedarbrae Labs

I've got a chocolate Cedarbrae lab, sired by a Makala lab. I believe there was talk of breeding one of my pups litter mates (not sure if this has happened or is in the works). In any case, worth and email as they may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-25-2021 at 09:52 PM.

With the high demand for puppies these days most long-time breeders have a waiting list for their upcoming litters. Many have jumped into breeding due to this demand and higher puppy prices and do little to ensure healthy litters.

Find a breeder who has health clearances on both side and dam. These days for labs, along with hip, elbow and eye clearances (x-ray and physical exam) along with CNM, EIC and PRA (genetic) clearances are being done.

You may be aware of the information above, but could not believe hearing of a “breeder” selling a litter telling potential buyers that he didn’t need to do hip and elbow clearances on his dam as she was “clear by parentage”! Impossible as this is a physical exam! �� Definitely someone who is just in it for the $$$ and not wanting to spend the money to ensure he was breeding healthy pups.

Definitely need to do your homework as a puppy buyer these days. Good luck with your search!
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Creek View Post
    With the high demand for puppies these days most long-time breeders have a waiting list for their upcoming litters. Many have jumped into breeding due to this demand and higher puppy prices and do little to ensure healthy litters.

Find a breeder who has health clearances on both side and dam. These days for labs, along with hip, elbow and eye clearances (x-ray and physical exam) along with CNM, EIC and PRA (genetic) clearances are being done.

You may be aware of the information above, but could not believe hearing of a “breeder” selling a litter telling potential buyers that he didn’t need to do hip and elbow clearances on his dam as she was “clear by parentage”! Impossible as this is a physical exam! 😠 Definitely someone who is just in it for the $$$ and not wanting to spend the money to ensure he was breeding healthy pups.

Definitely need to do your homework as a puppy buyer these days. Good luck with your search!
    There a lots of pitfalls these days as Dakota Creek pointed out. Re read this post and let it sink in.

With this in mind I’d be VERY careful about purchasing a pup from White Robin. The last time I checked they did not do EIC, CNM, or PRA genetic testing on their breeding stock. Things may have changed recently but make sure these tests have been done. Don’t rely on their word. Insist on seeing the test results for both parents. These tests are fundamental for EVERY ethical breeders today.

Makalia labs and Cedarbrae are both experienced ethical breeders who do the necessary testing.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Thanks for the info guys, yes the market for puppies sure has changed last time I got two Black and Tan coonhound pups was 11 years ago had two of them flown up from Utah cost me 250 dollars a piece. I tried makalia and cedarbrae but neither of them are taking any bookings at this time.

Does anyone now what eromit or ness lake labs are like

Some other breeders not mentioned above that my daughter and son in law checked out before getting on a list and getting a chocolate pup this past spring: Belmont Retrievers (Kevin Hill) in South Surrey, Eromit (Quesnel), and Someday Retrievers (Kamloops).

I have personally seen good hunters out in the field come from all three. Btw, if you weren't going to train your own dog Kevin Hill does a great job. Probably wouldn't go with Someday Retrievers in that regard because I've heard a few negative comments even though the breeding program has been good. Some great breeders out in the prairies if you don't mind traveling to pick up a pup.

Definitely look for a breeder that is focussed on breeding from good hunting lines as opposed to service dog lineage that have had a lot, if not all, of the prey drive bred out of them.

If your stuck on chocolate it’s going to be a lot tougher.

Don’t know about nesslake but Eromit is a reputable breeder and so is Belmont gundogs in Surrey. Going further afield try Club Mead in Alberta who have been doing it successfully forever. Not sure if any of them except Belmont breed for chocolates.

Dogs don’t care what color they are…..
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Thanks for all the kennels names everyone, I’m not in a rush so I’m sure I will be able to find what I’m looking for

Ness Lake is top notch. Message me if you'd like more details.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.