Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting with young kids

Re: Hunting with young kids

All good advice. I'll add mine too. Both my kids started as young as THEY decided they wanted to come. Get them involved. Teach them how to spot game, don't have to shoot anything just spotting,especially the hard to see ones, is a game, they love it. When they're of age to take game GO SLOW, if they are not ready to take the shot teach them that it's OK to NOT kill something all the time. The more you let them decide, the more they will decide to be by your side. I love hunting almost to a fault, but not as much as when my kids are with me. My sig line below hasn't been edited in MANY years!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

my six year old grandson spotted the deer his dad arrowed before dad spotted it. He considers himself a deer hunter. Great memories.

My boys are 6 and 10. Since they were babies I would bring them out hunting and fishing with me. The number 1 key to success is to make sure they are having fun. Sure we all want to shoot big bucks but the kids don't care as much when they are little. I always bring lots of their favorite snacks to keep them happy. We do fun things like looking for the biggest pine cone or coolest rock. What matters is that they have fun. My kids beg me to take them hunting because in their eyes we are going on a great adventure into the wild. If you see them starting to fade or get bored then pick up on that que and shift to something with high success for a bit like looking for lava rocks. When I go out with my kids I accept the fact that it will likely be unsuccessful, but that's ok because we are going to have a good time either way. It's a perfect opportunity for the kids to open up and talk to you like a friend and a great opportunity for you to treat them like a friend . Bit of a long ramble but that's my take on it.

I helped my boys aim their little 410 at every grouse we got a chance at, they were so proud to have helped get dinner. I think that started around when they where 3 to 4 years old. Both of the older ones can load and shoot on their own now. They know gun safety and my youngest one is ready to start learning. They shoot small game while driving to our spots. I will have them hiking with me but we don't see much as they can be a little loud, so if we get any big game then we are lucky. I brought them hunting from when they were very little, always making sure they had ear muffs in case I was going to shoot my gun. The hiking part is fun exploring for them, they get to learn what animal tracks and signs are all about. Snacks are a good thing to bring as mentioned earlier. Lots of fresh air for my boys makes for a good sleep and a good appetite.

My son just turned 10 and shot his first black bear this spring… amazing experience for both of us!! We shot our first whitetail together when he was 6 months old and we’ve shot one together every year since. He’s been with me for sheep, moose, bear and elk. This year is his turn!! He just loves it… can’t get enough. It’s a true privilege to have him along. It’s the only way we will keep the hunting tradition alive!

It's so nice to hear about everyone's experiences and is very inspiring. I can't wait to take my 6 yr old boy and 8 yr old daughter out to create fun life long memories that we can reminisce when we're older