Thread: Week long Grizzly attack - Nome Alaska

Week long Grizzly attack - Nome Alaska

Copy/paste article on bear mauling in Alaska

Man who endured weeklong attacks by grizzly bear rescued after SOS spotted

Alaska man injured by bear that kept returning to his isolated hut in the wilderness

It reads like the plot of a page-turning novel or a thriller or adventure film – a sequel to The Revenant, even, perhaps, the 2016 film where Leonardo DiCaprio plays an American frontiersman and fur trapper left for dead after being mauled by a bear in the early 19th century.

But this was real life in 2021. A man in Alaska was rescued, injured but alive, after enduring repeated attacks by a grizzly bear that kept on returning to his isolated hut in the wilderness, from which he had no way of contacting the outside world.
    The unnamed man’s ordeal could well not have ended safely, as he was injured and sleep deprived and only had two bullets left in his pistol, while staying in a tiny tin shack, according to an account of his ordeal in the New York Times.
    The man was finally rescued in a piece of random good fortune when a passing coast guard helicopter that was off its normal course spotted him desperately waving for help and having written SOS and “Help me” on the roof of the flimsy shack.
    The man was reported to be in his 50s or 60s and had been alone at a mining camp about 40 miles from the isolated town of Nome on the coast of western Alaska. Nome is the destination of the annual Iditarod dog-sled race, almost 1,000 miles from Anchorage, the US state’s largest city. While at the remote camp,he encountered the bear, which attacked him and dragged him down to the adjacentriver.

The man escaped but then endured repeated attacks over about a week. “He said that the bear kept coming back every night and he hadn’t slept in a few days,” Lt Cmdr Jared Carbajal, one of the pilots of the coast guard helicopter, told the New York Times.

He was only spotted when the helicopter had changed its course slightly to avoid some clouds. The chopper spotted the man’s distress and swiftly landed to find him with a bandaged leg and waving a white flag of some kind. The door of his tin shack had also been torn off.
    “We don’t really come across people in the middle of nowhere,” said co-pilot Lt AJ Hammac. “He was kind of struggling. When we came around, he was on his hands and knees waving a white flag.
    “He definitely looked like he had been out there for a while,” he said.
    The helicopter was on its way from Kotzebue to Nome on a mission to take some scientists to search for dead whales, walruses and seals along the coast.
    “If we would have been in the next river valley over,” Cdr Carbajal said, “we would have totally missed him.”
    The man is now recovering from his ordeal.
    Grizzly bears have been coming into an increasing number of conflicts with humans in the American west as the federally protected animals expand into new areas and the number of people living and recreating in the region grows. A person was killed by a bear in Montana in July, and a guide was killed in April while fishing along the Yellowstone national park border in south-western Montana.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Week long Grizzly attack - Nome Alaska

Yeah I saw that article.
    Don't know how many rounds that guy had, but I don't understand how you can go into grizzly country and run out of ammo and grizzly still alive.
    Maybe he just had one drum of rounds and that's it.
    Unprepared to say the least.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Jesus, that’s a crazy happening!!!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I imagine he likely put a couple of handgun rounds into the bear if it came back so many times.

Pretty crazy, glad he survived and I hope he shares more details after he recovers.

He's fortunate the crew of the coast guard helo happened to fly overhead, see his (help me) message and intervene.

A good example of where an inreach, spot, or other simiar device may have got him assistance much earlier.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-23-2021 at 11:54 AM.

Holy Shit!
    Not the attack....BUT...how did Mpotzold miss this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Holy Shit!
    Not the attack....BUT...how did Mpotzold miss this!!!
    He didn’t….was already in his attack thread as well as updates. Potzy doesn’t miss em, you should know that!!

Omg, he must have missed all the bear defense threads?!?
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    He didn’t….was already in his attack thread as well as updates. Potzy doesn’t miss em, you should know that!!
    Thanks!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein