Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winch purchase'Wire cable or Nylon line

Re: Winch purchase'Wire cable or Nylon line

synthetic is the best choose for jobs like running a snow blade on a atv. When you run steel
    Cable over the same spot it will cut into the material synthetic slides better. That being said I have spent like 5k on the last few winches on my sxs and used 1 of the winches. So unless you plan on using it a lot steel will be fine. If you snap the synthetic you can just tie it back up which is nice, steel is a bit of messing around if you break it. If you get a steel cable sliver in your hand you will know it.

I've got a winch with synthetic cable, it BITES, sure it's light and all but I can never free spool it off the drum especially after a pull. It gets so locked together I have to reverse the spool to get it out. Real PITA NEVER again!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I've had both and I'll never go back to steel. I've abused my synthetic lines and they have taken it like champs. The energy stored in a synthetic line under tension is a fraction of what is in a steel one simply due to the mass. I still throw my coat over it just like a steel line.

For any line material, always unspool after a pull and wrap it back on evenly under no load.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-brown View Post
    I bought a front hitch receiver for my hunting truck (first gen tundra) and a hitch cradle for my winch so i can keep it in the dry box in the box of the truck. Out of the weather, out of the eyes of thrives and I can move it to the front and back of my truck. Because sometimes when you get stuck...you don't want to go forward anymore, haha. I know this doesn't answer your nylon vs cable debate. But it would free up the driving the highways in November with snowy/sleety wet weather and deteriorating the winch line/clutch & electronics etc.
    This is how I play it. Synthetic line on a receiver mounted winch. It stores out of sight, out of the weather and off the weight of the front end. On a gas 3/4 or 1 ton, it’s fine to have the big bumper and winch on the front axle, but on a Tacoma or diesel that is already front end heavy, storing it in the bed is a great way to go.

On the steel vs synthetic debate, I’ve run both and like both for different reasons. My current small winch (for the Tacoma and car trailer loading) is synthetic, but when I rebuild my Warn 8274 it will get wire rope.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Cheaper to order steel on the winch but swap it out yourself. There’s lots of synthetic winch cable online you can get and spool it on yourself.

If you go synthetic do not make the mistake and get the cheap stuff off amazon. Not all ropes are rated or made equally.
    I went direct to the manufacture and ordered from Maple Leaf Ropes. Amazing break strength on the dyneema/HMPE rope.

Plan to put an ARB bumper on truck and upgrade suspension, so weight is not an issue. On my last truck I found I rarely used winch as I am pretty cautious where I take my truck, as I am almost always alone and I like my truck , so I avoid "hairy" situations on the tail (I get out and walk if the road looks sketchy) so winch is more for getting unstuck and pulled back on the road if
    i slip off. Not up cliffs or across boulder fields, too old for such frolics!

Seems to be a Coke vs Pepsi issue so far from comments. I appreciate your thoughts though. Going to keep asking and reading. Afraid I don't trust vendors much. They want to get my money and spend their days in a salesroom not 20km from pavement ,out of cell service, in November when the snow is starting to pile up.So they will push what they have in stock or has the best profit margin.

At this point I'm leaning toward synthetic ( hate wire slivers and the idea you could repair a broken line in the field appeals to me, if the wire rope were to break, I'd be hooped, but then I think would be rare indeed to break a wire line with my conservative rare use of my winch).

Good, safe, hunting to all you folks!
    Last edited by bearheart; 07-22-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Those broken wire ends are called jaggers in coast logging. You are allowed a certain number per foot by the regs. Not all wire rope is quality, either.

I’m a fan of wire rope. There’s a few simple knots for repairing broken wire and You can usually cut wire with a hard axe and soft hammer if it breaks and splice it back together. We used to use a wire knot called a grapple knot that could easily hook back to your hook no matter what kind of shape the end is in. I could try and explain it, but it would probably be easier to find something on Google. I don’t trust too many knots in flat synthetic rope and there’s always the issue if your knot will fit through the fairlead on your truck.

The SnapBack of a broken tow line seems to be worse with synthetic than wire. I couldn’t say for sure if synthetic is worse for this than wire, but they made us watch a bunch of broken sling videos in my last rigging course where shackles and things went through windshields and killed the driver from coupling two slings together. They stretch like a rubber band and go flying when things let go, especially if there’s a weight on the end.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

couple thoughts...you drive a tacoma...maybe you should stick to the city...

Wire wont break
    Nylon you can break but you can tie it back together
    I have broken nylon on an atv
    I have nylon on my suzuki vitara
    Nylon won't rust or jam
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member